Chapter 22: Sophia's Secret

Sophia

June 16, 2016.

Thursday afternoon found me on cloud nine as I met up with my twin sister for an after-school snack at the Orion University Cafeteria.

"You look different," she observed as I sat down in the plastic chair opposite her.

"Hmm? How so?" I said as I scavenged my green bag for my wallet.

"You seem glowing. Radiant. Like.. like you're in love?" she surmised.

My whole system stiffened in alarm. I wasn't in love with anybody.

But my own sister seemed to believe otherwise.

"Never mind. I'm probably wrong," Stacy said dismissively.

I thought the investigation was over but she pelted me with another query.

"Perhaps you've moved on from a certain someone? Is that it, Sop?"

Now that was below the belt.

I didn't want my good mood to vanish so I gave my twin a sharp look.

She raised her palms in mock-surrender. "Fine. I'll drop the topic."

I ordered a cheeseburger while Stacy bought a fruit smoothie. We were halfway through our meal when a couple of girls burst through the canteen's door and frantically swiveled their gazes around the place until their eyes landed on me.

"Sophia! Sophia! Guess what! Guess what!" Emily and Spencer squealed giddily.

My blonde sister massaged her forehead with one hand. "You're going to shut up?"

I smiled at my two excited friends. "What is it?" I asked them.

"Our favorite author is going to be here in Manila this month!" Spencer shrieked.

I was happy for them. They looked ready to burst with joy. "Who IS your favorite author?"

Emily slung her arms around me in a bone-crushing embrace. I begged for oxygen.

"You won't believe it!" She said upon releasing me. "It's S. Green!"

I choked on air. But my eyes watered so I blinked three times and gaped at Emily.

"You're right.. I DON'T believe it," I said in a quiet voice, ignoring Stacy's smile.

"This is so great! Do you think I should go as one of his or her book characters? S. Green is a very considerate author. His or her characters aren't difficult to masquerade as. We would just need some wigs, contacts lenses, and some old period costumes and we're set for the event!"

Spencer grinned at Emily's idea. The former said firmly: "I can't believe it's finally happening. After almost three years of evading the public eye, S. Green will finally be revealed!!"

I felt a nostalgic warmth inside my chest.

Three years,huh..

My first book, Scarlet Thread, had been published when I was at the age of 15.

Several months later, my second novel, The Constellation of Our Friendship, was officially a published work when I was 16 years old.

I didn't expect for both books to become such hits, with literally a heavy capacity of three billion readers around the world who have come to love my stories. It felt fulfilling to be an author.

Even though nobody else knew of S. Green's true identity.

Rewind.

I glanced at Emily and Spencer,asking them: "How did you know S. Green is visiting Manila?"