Chapter 88: Almost

Lucas

Day of the Ballroom Contest.

Thursday Evening. December 15, 2016.

"Lucas." Sophia's voice was barely above a whisper, but I was able to hear the anxiety in it.

My skin prickled with alarm. I wasn't wearing a necktie but my neck felt inexplicably tight.

I pounded my fists on the cold silver door like a madman. "What happened? Are you ill? Do you feel dizzy? I knew I should have asked someone to guard you---"

"N-no. That's not it. I'm fine." She sounded fairly nervous. "It's just this dress.. it's really short."

I glanced up at the clock on the wall. It is seven-thirty pm. Assembly time would be at 7:45.

"Are you wearing it now?" I patiently asked, my back leaning on the azure wall beside the door.

From the other side of the door, she answered more calmly: "Yes."

"Sophia.." I took a second to look down at my own appearance: Tousled black hair, charcoal gray blazer (no buttons) thrown over a pristine white shirt, matching gray slacks, and leather brown shoes. The criteria strictly required semi-formal attire and I knew I cleaned up well.

"Yup?"

"Can you please come out now?" I asked her in a soothing tone.

A brief silence fell before she said: "Okay."

When she emerged from the girls' locker room, all I could do was stare at her.

Sophia wore a simple jewelry headpiece, Gatsby style, around her head, making her look like royalty. Her long brown tresses fell softly down her bare shoulders, reminding me of a wavy chocolate waterfall.

Around her fair-skinned neck was her silver half-heart necklace,and.. she had been right about the dress. Instead of her oval eyeglasses, she wore contact lenses for the night.

It was too short. Way too short. But it was the kind of outfit usually worn by ballroom dancers: Her slim figure was clad in a canary-yellow sleeveless dress, the bright shade complimenting her long dark hair and nude arms. The v-neck was, in general, provocative, but it didn't show too much of her chest, thank goodness. The cinch of her waist was emphasized by the mustard-colored sash a few inches below her bust. Her skirt was hi-low, flaunting her long, flawless legs which ended in bone-white strapped sandals. She wasn't accustomed to two-inch heels, but she managed to practice in similar shoes for the past two days.

"Sophia?"

"Y-yes?"

I kindly asked her to turn around, and she must have read my mind because she pursed her lips.

The lovely brunette complied to my request, and when I saw the back of her dress, I pinched the bridge of my nose and mentally counted from one to ten to balm my rising nerves.

It had no back. The yellow sleeveless, hi-low dress was backless, revealing more of her skin.

Sophia was going to be seen by hundreds of people in just a few minutes. They were going to ogle her, gawk at her, and other possibilities I didn't even want to imagine.

But she was my dance partner.

Tonight I will have her all to myself. I didn't care how short-lived it would be. I just wanted to cherish the evening with her. Because it was only a matter of time before she finds out the truth.

"Lucas? You seem pensive."

I looked at the brown-eyed brunette. "Sophia, there's something I have to tell you."