Chapter 25: The Favor

Stacy

I watched in silence as Scarlet angrily walked away from her boyfriend.

My heart thudded against my rib-cage as I studied Bryce from afar. I was supposed to hate him.

Because if I don't hate him, I might feel something else entirely. I couldn't let that happen.

I stood back as I saw him wash his palms along his face in a tiresome manner. He then bent his head down to look at the contents of the D.S.L.R. camera which he wore around his neck.

Bryce seemed distracted, so I took slow steps towards him while his back was to me. He squatted down on the gravelly ground and aimed his black camera at some birds and bushes.

When I reached him, I placed about five feet between us and in a serene voice,I called out to him:

"Hey there. Is it okay if I talk to you for a few minutes? I'll be quick."

His whole body seemed to stiffen with annoyance. He raised his head and looked up at me.

"Can't you see I'm b--" the rest of his sentence faded away when he saw me.

Bryce gaped at me with those deep blue eyes and suddenly stood up, dusting off his pants.

"Stacy?"

Thump.

I had no idea why, but the way he said my name made my heart beat faster. Perhaps it was due to the fact that this was the very first time he acknowledged me by my first name, and his choice of tone was not belittling nor sarcastic. It was more of surprise and wonder, which pleased me.

"That's me," I teased him, hugging my pink notebook more securely to my chest.

Bryce quirked a questioning brow at me. "What are you doing here?"

I flashed him a smirk and replied: "Last time I checked, I study in this university."

"You should become a comedian someday," he dryly told me.

I snorted derisively. "I'm not taking career advice from you."

The tall 18-year old sighed and tousled his brown hair. He glanced at me and asked:

"What do you want?"

I placed a hand above my heart, feigning hurt. I innocently told him: "What makes you think I want something from you?"

"Why else would you be here,bothering me?"

My full lips curved upward as my blue eyes gleamed at him. "Fair point."

"So what is it?" he inquired,sounding patient.

I flipped open my pink notebook and pulled out a small white strip from between the pages.

"This," I told Bryce, wriggling the thin white paper in his face. "You have to help me."

He took the small piece of paper from my hand and swam his azure eyes over the words.

"Why is my name written here?"

At his question, I explained to him the rubrics and instructions of my school project. I shared with him the criteria and requirements I needed to fulfill to get a high mark for this class.

After I finished talking, I glanced at Bryce and asked: "So? Will you be my client?"

One corner of his lips tugged up in a cunning smirk. "On one condition," he began.

My eyebrows furrowed as I met his gaze. I asked him: "What is it?"

His blue eyes dropped to my pink lips, and when I saw them linger, I narrowed my eyes.

"You perverted bastard!" I shrieked and repeatedly hit him with my pink notebook.

"Ow! Ouch! The hell! Ouch!" He used his arms as a shield from my assaults, fending off my attacks as I continued to smack him with my notebook and raging at him in the quadrangle.

I screamed at him: "I'm not going to kiss you!" Then I hit him again with my weapon.

A bubble of laughter erupted from his mouth as he attempted to grab my hands.

"Who said anything about kissing?" he guffawed, like the mere notion was absurd.

Bryce caught both my wrists in his hands and gave me a wicked grin. "Tired yet?"

My chest was rising and falling in an abnormal rhythm, but I glared at him menacingly.

"Never!" I exclaimed vehemently.

"Good. Because you owe me a favor."

A crease formed between my brows as I looked at his serious face. Suspiciously, I asked him:

"What favor?"

Bryce held up his D.S.L.R camera for me to see closely. I cocked my head to one side.

"You're a model, aren't you?I need more life in my pictures, and you're photogenic."

I flashed him a self-satisfied smile and asked him: "Was that praise I heard? From you?"

He looked at me indifferently and said in response: "Don't get used to it."

"Does this mean you'll..?" I stared at him with expectant blue eyes.

Bryce nodded his head so furtively I thought it was a mirage. I beamed at him.

I was about to ask him where I should pose when one of his male classmates approached us.

"Hey, aren't you Stacy, the girl who won Miss Orion last week?"

My gaze flickered to the dark-haired guy of average height. His eyes were gray and full of awe.

"Yes, that's me," I confirmed his question, then I crossed my arms.

The guy extended his hand to me for a handshake, and out of forced courtesy, I took it.

His palm seemed to brush against mine in a tantalizing slowness, making me inwardly shudder.

I stole a glimpse of his eyes the second his hand touched mine. His look was laced with lust.

So my instincts were right.

Hoping he wouldn't notice, I took one step back after withdrawing my hand from him.

His smile made me uneasy as he asked me: "Will you be my model? I need a few more shots."

I opened my mouth to decline his offer but Bryce abruptly stepped in front of me, standing between me and the dark-haired guy with a big black camera from around his neck.

"Sorry to say this, but she's already spoken for."

A warm tingle slithered down my spine upon hearing Bryce's cold voice.

"But she--"

"Go."

Flinching visibly, the college guy spun on his heel and walked away from us.

"Bryce?" I called softly.

The brown-haired 18-year old turned around to face me, his smile somewhat calm.

"We should hurry," he said to me. "The sky is getting darker."

I nodded my head obediently and followed suit as Bryce led me to some trees.