Chapter 51: Why Me?

Sophia

365 days of not seeing one person should have been a BIG help in moving on.

I had 730 days. Seven hundred and thirty bitter days of denying my lingering feelings.

You'd think it would be so, SO easy to forget someone who played with your emotions, someone who took advantage of your weaknesses. But there's this.. this tiny piece of yourself that either needs closure for something nonexistent--or one ghost of an opportunity to ensure that your feelings were finally gone or slowly vanishing.. because of somebody new.

Somebody I couldn't even have.

I often find myself hating my life despite my blessings.

Fast-forward to the present. Stacy and I were in the middle of twenty or thirty teenage girls. They had formed this large circle, surrounding the three tall, handsome boys in front of us.

I brought my right wrist to my brown eyes, and I realized my first class began in ten minutes.

"Ace," I said while looking at my blonde sister. "We need to go now."

Without meeting my gaze, she replied: "No we don't."

"Pie."

I winced. "Don't call me that," I gritted out as I glanced to the side.

"Sophia, you know who this is?" asked Lucas.

In slow motion, I moved my brown eyes on his. "Nope."

"Pie, at least look at me," Dale insisted.

Bryce interjected: "He seems to know you. Are you sure you don't know Dale?"

Hearing his name made me irritated. I looked over at Bryce and said to him: "I used to know someone with the same name." My lips thinned with disdain. "But he died."

"What? Pie, come on," Dale persisted, then he took a step forward towards me.

Stacy instantly blocked his path as she stood between me and Dale. She hissed at him: "Leave."

"Ace!" Dale's mouth broke into a smile. "It's been a while. How long, exactly? Two years?"

"Why did you come back here, Cruz?" My blonde sister shot him a dark glare.

"I need to talk to Sophia," was his smooth response.

"Need is such a strong word, Cruz." Stacy wore an angry smile. "Do you need to use her again?"

A perplexed frown appeared on Lucas's face. "What's going on?"

"Alright, let's get the air cleared here before any gossip-mongers spread any bullshit," said Stacy, her voice loud and dominant, and she swept her icy blue eyes over all the girls listening in.

"You see this jerk right here?" My sister pronounced as she pointed at Dale. "Well, he---"

I slapped a hand over Stacy's mouth before she could finish her announcement. She protested beneath my palm but I wrapped an arm around hers and dragged her away from the big crowd.

"What the hell was that for, Sop?" My twin snapped after I retracted my hand from her face.

"I don't want nor need anybody broadcasting my idiocy in Orion," I firmly told her as we walked.

She stared at me for a minute. Then with an eye-roll, she sighed. "Fine. Fine."

My twin and I parted ways upon reaching the Humanities Hall, my main building.

Twenty minutes into my first morning subject, our dean made a public announcement through the campus intercoms, which resonated throughout the entire university.