Chapter 55: Married

Sophia

I stood inside my small dressing room, which was basically a rounded black curtain.

"Inhale, exhale. Inhale, exhale," I told myself, steadying my breathing patterns.

I didn't know how I looked yet because the body mirrors were outside. But I felt alright.

The female sophomore student who served as the hairstylist and hairdresser had handed me a completely different bridal costume from the one Stacy was meant to wear minutes ago.

I wore a strapless white wedding gown, its A-line skirt bathed in fluffy tulle and flowing down to my feet, which were adorned by white glittery flat shoes. The gown was simple, elegant, and it embraced my full curves in a flattering manner. The hairstylist had combed my long brown tresses, parting them between my bare shoulders for dramatic effect, and she had curled the wavy tips of my chocolate locks, giving an emphatic focus to my long bare arms and my bust.

"Miss Sophia, are you ready? Your groom is waiting for you," beckoned the hairdresser.

"I-I'm coming," I stuttered, drawing in some oxygen before exhaling audibly and stepping out.

When I emerged from the black curtain, I felt my mouth open in surprise. I called softly: "Lucas?"

He had his back turned on me, but even then, he was as handsome as ever in a black tuxedo.

Lucas whirled around while still patting the red rose in his left breast pocket. His eyes widened.

"Ya?" He blinked. "Sophia?"

My heart skipped a beat. Not because of how the tuxedo made him more dashing, but because for one fleeting moment, for just one second, he had called me by my the nickname he gave me.

And it had felt perfect between us. Like the old days.

"Hey there, stranger," I awkwardly greeted him. "Heading somewhere special?"

Lucas continued to stare at me with his soft brown eyes. "You.. you look amazing, Sophia."

I self-consciously fiddled with the crisp tulle of my full white skirt, my cheeks deep crimson.

"Thanks, I guess," I told him, and I yelped in surprise when someone nudged me forward. It was the female hairdresser, Charity Santiago. She handed me a bouquet of flowers and a veil.

"Is this really necessary?" I asked while Charity pinned the translucent veil on my head.

"A wedding is a wedding, even if it's not real," said the pretty sophomore.

But it feels too real to me, I thought as I stood in front of the tall groom in a pristine tuxedo.

Lucas leaned forward and I felt my face heat up when his minty breath fanned my flushed skin.

"I mean it," he whispered to me, his brown eyes locked onto mine. "You look beautiful."

"T-Thank you," I stammered while struggling to maintain eye-contact with him.

He pulled away, and I could still feel my heartbeat thumping inside my chest. Darn it.

The "priest" commenced with the "ceremony" by flipping open the bible and reciting the traditional introduction as pronounced in front of every couple engaged in holy matrimony.

"Do you, Lucas De Los Reyes, take Sophia Ann Sta. Ana, as your lawfully wedded wife?"

Lucas looked at me, and my heart leapt to my throat. "I do," he answered, smiling at me.