Chapter 10: The Realization

Stacy

After my wonderful sister shooed me away from glaring at Hanna Mendoza, I scurried off to my friends, Miles, Dylan, and Selena, the three of them already waving at me and calling me over.

"We saw your name," Miles told me by way of greeting.She patted my back and said: "Good luck."

A crease formed between by brows as I looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"You didn't see who else was on the list?" She gaped at me in incredulity.

I saw Selena shake her head as she said: "Alison, Heather, and Barbie signed up for the pep squad, too."

Ah. So that's it. They were worried about me. As usual.

Crossing my long arms over my chest, I smiled to myself before declaring: "I can handle them."

Dylan shot me a meaningful look. "Are you sure, Ace?"

My blue eyes narrowed at him. "Of course, Dy. When have I ever shrunk down?"

The handsome teen suddenly averted his eyes from mine, his posture discomfited.

I was about to demand him to say what he was thinking, but I heard someone call my twin.

"Sophia!"

Swiftly, I turned to my right, and I saw two people weaving through the thick crowd of students, hustling and bustling in front of the bulletin board pinned with club lists.

What got my attention first was the guy--he was quite tall, around six feet or so, and he had tousled black hair with long bangs, inwardly curved, and cut above his brown eyes. His uniform of a white polo, blue tie and blue slacks fit him well, though he seemed modest about his looks.

Handsome and Innocent.

Interesting.

But then my azure eyes slid to the person on his left side, and my eyebrows furrowed at the sight of her.

She was, frankly, average in height, and she was skinny, so in short, petite. I furtively examined her outward appearance. Her hair was black,short,and voluminous. It suited her face, but there was something so cloying and annoying about her. It was a vibe I've sensed hundreds of times.

The dark blue pencil skirt she wore was cut way above her knees, and I scrunched my nose in distaste. Even I wouldn't wear something so risque and provocative, and that's saying a lot.

I felt somebody nudge my arm. "Hey, Ace. What are you staring at?" Miles asked me.

"Hmm," I simply hummed in reply, my eyes still riveted on the tall, black-haired young man.

"Uh-oh," Selena said, following my gaze. "I know that look, Ace."

I felt Dylan lightly kick my shoe with his, making me glance at him. "What?"

"Are you sure you want this one? He seems more your sister's type," my friend told me.

I sputtered a laugh, casting a brief smile in Sophia's direction. She was casually talking to him.

Bringing my eyes back to Dylan, I replied: "My twin? She's not into the dating thing. And even if she were, I know she wouldn't pull a fast one on me. We would never deliberately hurt each other." I darted another side-glance at my bespectacled, brown-eyed, brown-haired sibling.

"Deliberately," Selena muttered.

I glared at her. "What was that, Len?" See, the trick about girls asking, 'What did you say' doesn't imply that she didn't hear you the first time. Oh, she heard you. But she's giving you a chance to mend your statement, otherwise there would be hell to pay.