Chapter 35: Text Buddies

Sophia

It was Sunday night when I received a text message from Lucas.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Hey. Done reading the book.

In spite of my melancholic state, the corners of my lips rose into a fond smile. I was no longer using an original glazed pastry as his contact photo. He had sent me a copy of our picture from yesterday at the book signing event--the picture that was snapped before he enlisted my help.

Before he--unbeknownst to him--broke off a piece of my heart.

It is 10:30pm and I was the only one awake in the black-coated bedroom. Stacy was out cold.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

How was it?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Brilliant. Exactly the kind of read I was looking for. Simple. Short. Powerful. Holds multiple layers of meaning, which anyone can interpret how she or he wants. The kind of book that once you read it, it's forever a part of who you are.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

You can relate to it, huh?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Would it be weird if I say yes?

To: Lucas the Doughnut

No. Which part can you relate to?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Everything.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

So are you saying you're like the little prince?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

The pilot.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Oh yeah, you love to draw just like he does.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Yeah, but he eventually gave up his dream of becoming a painter since the adults viewed his drawings in a different perspective.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Did you give up on your dream, too?

I hit send, and my fingers froze. Oh fudge. Maybe that was too personal? I panicked when he didn't reply right away. He might have thought I was being intrusive.

It turned out that his reply was tremendously long.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Almost. It is true most adults fail to see beyond the child's imagination. They always need an explanation--concrete, precise explanation. Like if they were to ask you about the place where you grew up in, and you, as a kid, would say the color of your house, the kind of atmosphere it had, the quirks of the neighbors, the plants in the garden, and stuff like that. They wouldn't get the idea of it.

Instead, you'd have to say the size of the lot, the cost and model of the house, the location, and those kinds of stuff to make them say it's an amazing place. It's akin to what my parents said to me when I told them what I want to be in the future. They told me to be practical and such, not bothering to see the importance beneath it. You know what I'm saying?

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Well, as people grow older, their senses and perspectives change. Most grownups accept what is obvious, and they're now too preoccupied with wealth, time, responsibilities...

Consequences which make them fail to notice the simple yet essential things in life.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Bingo.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

We protest too much. Ha ha. We might turn out to be like them someday, you know.

News Flash: We're in a generation where kids grow up way too fast.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

You sound like you're excited to grow up.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

You can't stop the inevitable. Why? Is being 18 years old already that awful?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Yeah. Things get worse. Your heart slowly loses most of its vigor.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Why?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Because the giant world out there is actually a big bad wolf.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Take a detour. You might be seeing the wild side of the world.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Huh?

To: Lucas the Doughnut

I know there is something good happening somewhere else,and you're missing out on it.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

How can you be so sure about that? Have you traveled around the world?

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Do you know how many books I read? Each book I crack open serves as a portal to different parts of the world--and other universes, too.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

They're fiction.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

But there are infinite possibilities that such works of fiction may have similar instances in real life. And perhaps fiction isn't as fictional as we think. The Little Prince, remember? All those metaphors about reality and stuff?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Just testing to see how much of an avid reader you are, Ya.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Are you doubting my powers, Lucas De Los Reyes?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Ooh. I'm shaking in my Mario and Luigi pajamas, Sophia Sta. Ana.

I clamped a hand over my lips to muffle my giggles. I can actually envision his dorky getup.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

You expect me to back down from a guy whose contact name is a bakery treat?

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Not at all. But we should probably hit the hay now. We have school tomorrow.

To: Lucas the Doughnut

Darn you and your logical reasoning. Goodnight, Lucas.

From: Lucas the Doughnut

Goodnight, Ya.

That night, I slept with a tender smile on my face.