Chapter 83: Dancing Hearts

Sophia

December 12, 2016. Monday Morning.

Being in love changes a lot in a person: For starters, when that special someone pops up in your head, a fond smile slowly creeps onto your lips. You can't stop thinking about him or her all day, and just the mention of their name broadens your smile, lightening up your whole face.

When you're in love, you can't help finding a link or connection to that person with the places and everything around you. Most of the time, a memory you shared with that someone causes you to remember him or her whenever you go to that specific area, or eat a particular food.

Love can bring out the best and worst in us. Love is when you can be the best version of yourself, only better, because you can be who you are around that person. You're just happier.

Love can be cruel.. kind.. blind.. patient.. selfish.. advantageous.. but most of all, love is sacrifice.

When you truly love someone, the type of unconditional love where you're willing to be hurt in exchange for somebody else's happiness, you do it. You set aside your own feelings in order for that somebody to finally receive the affection that's been long overdue for them. Because that somebody else deserves to be cherished, and you ready yourself for the pain.

Because she's worth it. She's worth the sacrifices.

And that's exactly why I'm doing yet another stupid thing--aside from being in love with my sister's boyfriend. That goes without saying.

Orion University may be a rather big place, but despite the large population of students, there was still a high probability of running into each other due to the connections of our buildings.

Avoiding him was the best tactic I could think of.. I liked him too much for my own good.

I came to know, though, that there were certain occurrences in life that were unavoidable.

It's like no matter what you do, you're destined to cross each others' path.

Keeping my head bent down, I walked along the blue lockers lining up the hallway and accidentally bumped into somebody, Noah Torres, who apologized for bumping into me.

My pulse raced when I realized that his presence only meant one thing: Lucas was just around the corner. Before I could escape, Noah asked me how Spencer was doing. The fact that he was interested made me think he possibly had a crush on my friend/classmate. He kept pelting me with questions about her likes and interests until suddenly a rich, casual voice called behind me.

"Sophia?"

I reeled around and found myself staring into the depths of Lucas' brown eyes. The word "Hi" was stuck in my throat; Instead of saying it out, I swallowed it down.

When Lucas nodded at Noah,the latter glanced at me and mouthed "Sorry" and sprinted away, leaving me in a state of shock.

"What the heck? An ambush?"

"I had no choice. You seemed to be avoiding me these days."

"W-what? Why would I avoid you?" I blabbered, hugging my textbooks to my chest. "But listen, I'm gonna be late for class. Maybe we can talk some other time. Bye!" I walked to his left and stopped. "Fudge. Classroom's that way." I walked to the right, brushing past him.

"Sophia."

His serious tone stopped me.

I turned to face him, and the sight of his forlorn expression broke my heart. "Y-yes?" I asked.