Chapter 54: Mr. & Mrs.

Stacy

The fair was crowded.

Or rather, I corrected myself, The Orion Golden Anniversary County Fair was crowded.

As I paid for a soda, I could see the ocean of animated college students bustling on campus.

I had no idea how the hell they did it, but the place was absolutely incredible, with two carnival rides located in the north quadrangle: The Viking and The Caterpillar (A roller-coaster).

Set up in the south quadrangle was a regular-scale Ferris Wheel called The Lantern. The school parking lot was lined with game booths and delectable food concessions.

The place was PACKED. Teenagers (students), adults (faculty), old and young, groups of outsiders and friends and family members with admission tickets ogling one another.

"Come ON, Sop," I urged my bespectacled sister, who was falling behind the crowds.

With some difficulty, she waved through the battalion of people, her expression bored.

My sky blue eyes studied her appearance, and I felt a smug smile tug at my full lips. Today, Sophia wore a lime green blouse with elbow-length sleeves, a pair of black skinny jeans, her feet encased in black flats, and her long, wavy brown hair cascaded down to her small waist.

Meanwhile, I was dressed in a pink-sleeved raglan white shirt teamed with a denim skirt that reached my knees, a smart pair of hot pink rubber shoes, and I wore my golden hair down.

Sporty and Stylish, just the way it should be for today.

"ACE! WATCH OUT!" Sophia yelled, but I didn't have time to comprehend her panic because a big guy suddenly slammed into me, making my arm jerk upon impact, and I watched almost in fascination as the lid flew off my plastic cup, the soda soaring through the air before drenching both my face and raglan shirt.

I groaned before glaring at the stranger's retreating back for all its worth. "I'm fine," I grumbled.

"It's a good thing I always bring this with me," said my sister, as she rummaged in her backpack.

"Sop, how come you still lug that around?" I complained to her. "It's like an anchor!"

"In what context?" she asked me, as she dabbed wet napkins on my shirt. It seemed to be working, but the napkins were disintegrating into tiny white flakes that resembled dandruff.

Great.

"What do you mean, what context?" I said in exasperation. "Anchors weigh you down."

Sophia adjusted her oval glasses after throwing away the crumpled tissues. "Not always, Ace. Anchors can either drag you down or pull you up. It's the way of the sea," she murmured.

I rolled my sky blue eyes heavenward, and I told her: "This has got to be about your next book."

"Shh," she shushed me, a finger to her plump lips.

"What's with the shushing?" asked a male voice from behind us.

I craned my neck and smiled up at Lucas, whose black hair was messy and he was dressed in a grass-colored, round-neck, short sleeved shirt and a pair of blue pants.

"Hi, Luke," I cheerfully greeted him while advancing towards him.

"Hi, Ace," he greeted me in return, and we exchanged a brief hug.

I saw him cast a look at my bespectacled sister, who remained quiet since he arrived.

"Morning, Sop." Lucas regarded her with warmth and.. apprehension? I wasn't certain.