Chapter 87: Unbearable

Sophia

Trust and honesty are two key factors in every relationship.

I know nothing bad will happen.I have faith, so relax.

Why do Stacy's words keep ringing in my head like a church bell?

I wasn't doing anything wrong.. was I?

For two days, Lucas and I have practice hard for long hours. I wanted to say there was improvement on both parties but something told me he was already used to dancing.

"How was that?" I asked, breathless from the exuberant gyrations.

I was sitting on the gravelly ground while Lucas squatted in front of his backpack. He seemed to be rummaging inside it, and I was correct. He calmly pulled out a couple of water bottles.

"You were amazing, Sophia." The black-haired eighteen-year old offered me one bottle, which I gratefully accepted.

"Thanks," I said to him, blushing a little. I tried to twist open the cap but it was too tightly sealed.

"Let me." Lucas reached for my water bottle and effortlessly popped open the blue cap.

I gave him my thanks, feeling somewhat disappointed with myself. After replenishing my thirst, I put down the closed bottle on the gravelly floor.

"Am I that weak?" My voice was quiet as I gazed at my pale right palm.

Lucas froze,his bottle of water midway to his mouth. "Sophia."

"I'm just overreacting." I hugged my bare legs, the cold breeze nipping at my skin.

My heartbeat grew frantic when Lucas dropped on his left knee in front of me.

"Sophia, you're the strongest person I know." He reached out to tuck a stray lock of brown hair behind my right ear. "Never forget that."

I stared at him, a hundred questions running through my head: Why didn't he want to switch dance partners? Wasn't it normal for a guy to want to be with his girlfriend every chance he got? Or maybe I was being melodramatic? Too paranoid? Was I overthinking the situation too much? Perhaps I read too much into his gestures. Once again, I made baseless assumptions.

Once again, my heart was broken.

"Sophia?"

I blinked. "Y-yes?"

Lucas examined my distracted face for a moment. Then he extended his right hand to me.

"It'll be dark soon," he said, pertaining to the orange and purple sky. "We should head home."

I placed my hand on his, our fingers intertwined, and Lucas pulled me up off the ground.

His tender smile was making me crazy--I had to remind myself he is my sister's boyfriend.

That he isn't mine. He never was to begin with.

"Where did you learn to dance like that?" I asked him as we gathered our things.

"'Just Dance' and Dance Dance Revolution," answered the black-haired teenager.

I pressed my lips together while casting him quizzical glances. "You don't look.."

"Yeah ,I get that a lot." His brown eyes twinkled knowingly. "Bryce would often drag me to the arcade and badger me to dance doubles with him.He's the dancer of the family."

"And you prefer rock climbing?" I teased him after hoisting my green backpack behind me.

He slowly walked towards the door, and I followed him, falling into step beside him.