Chapter 7: Sophia Meets A Twin

Sophia

I felt utterly crestfallen when Liam didn't text. He didn't even accompany me out of the university premises.I shouldn't be upset because my words and actions pushed him away.

So to distract myself, I fixated all my attention on my academics. As usual.

Tuesday morning rolled in. 

Being the second day of the first semester, it was time for the student body to avoid absences.

An announcement was made that all freshmen were required to join a minimum of one school club up to a maximum of at least three. Each section was provided sign-up sheets by their advisers.

We were given forty five minutes to pore over our decisions.

"Hey, Pie, how many are you signing up for?" Spencer asked without glancing up from her paper.

I tapped the head of my black pen against my bottom lip, pondering over the long list of clubs.

"Perhaps two," I answered after a beat of pensive silence. My brown eyes skimmed the menu of choices, and I found myself jotting down a couple of clubs that piqued my interest.

Spencer leaned over my desk to check what I wrote down. Her dark eyes clicked with delight.

"Creative Writing Club and the Student Council? Those are pretty heavy duties, Pie. Everyone knows the former is just another name for the Orion Arrow, the school paper. And do you have any experience is educational politics?" my black-haired friend asked me.

A cryptic smile grazed my lips. I looked at Spencer. "I do," I answered modestly. Then I said:

"I used to be president of my batch in high school, and I love to read and write."

Spencer gave me a supportive pat on the shoulder. "Then you have my vote."

"Don't vote for me because I'm your friend," I scolded her. "You vote for someone because they're suitable for the job and they have the skills of a true leader."

The brunette with freckles smiled sheepishly. "Okay, okay." She glanced at her paper again.

"So you're vying for student council president, I see," a familiar voice crowed.

I stifled my laughter as I looked to my right. Sitting in the other end of the row was Hanna.

If I were Stacy, Hanna Mendoza would have gotten on my nerves by now. But me being me, I found her competitive streak endearing, and she and I motivated each other to strive for greatness.

"Yes, I am, Hanna," I told the long-haired girl in square glasses.

She looked taken aback by my perkiness. She composed herself and scribbled her clubs.

"Hey, did you girls hear?" Jennifer Padilla whispered from behind me. She was an amiable student and teenager, the Miss Congeniality of our section. Everyone loved her friendliness and pleasing personality. And she always sported her caramel hair in a long braid.

"Hear what?" Spencer prompted after writing down her club choices. The two of us swiveled in our wooden chairs to get a better view of Jen's piece of information. She looked giddy.

"I heard through the grapevine that two hunks who didn't attend class yesterday are attending it today, and one of my girl friends said that they were extremely hot, every girl they passed would swoon and fan herself dramatically!" she said between dreamy giggles.

"Are they British?" Spencer asked offhandedly.

"What? No. They're half American, half Asian, like Sophia's sister."