Chapter 61: Hints

Sophia

I lay on my stomach on my olive-green bed, the sheets cozy and cold underneath my body.

Across our spacious bedroom was my yellow-haired sister Stacy, dancing to a Jessie J song in front of her white laptop. From time to time, I would sneak glances at her. She was really talented, not only in fashion designing, but also dancing and singing, and I was proud of her.

I adjusted my oval glasses and pinned my brown eyes on my own laptop's screen. A few weeks after I met Nerissa Cortes Brighton, the 21-year old niece of Sir Archie Cortes, my college dean, she had sent me a friend request on Facebook and I immediately accepted it.

For the past three days, we've been chatting non-stop about anything under the sun. Sometimes I would stay up way past midnight because of the time difference, and neither of us minded it.

When I had asked Nerissa---Or 'Ne' as she told me to address her---if it were okay to base my main character on her, she was absolutely elated and honored to be the female lead in my next book. She then inquired me if I could dedicate the story to her, and I replied that I intended to do just that from the beginning, to which she was ecstatic, so we started to talk more since then, not only because I needed a lot of information about her in order to bring her character to life, but as good friends who enjoyed each other's company via online communication.

Because she lived in North Carolina, I decided to make that place the setting of my story--a great decision since--evidently from the pictures and videos she sent me of her town--NC was teeming with gorgeous landscapes and bays and beaches. Perfect for my plot and theme. She also wrote a blog which I followed, and Nerissa often introduced me to some of her college friends and roommates through Skype.

Yes, Sophia. Just write, write, write.

When I was heartbroken over Dale, I chose to coop myself up indoors, doing nothing but reading my vast collection of classic books and creating drafts for my works on my laptop.

It kept my hands--and my mind--preoccupied. Too busy and engrossed to think about anything else. And now I was doing it again, not over Dale, but because I needed a diversion from my feelings.. the feelings that have been developing ever since I realized that I was falling for the guy who was courting my twin sister.

At the very least, I was able to use my loneliness as a way to improve the structures of my characters. The story revolved around a Siren and a young girl who saved her from an impending death. There would be a lot of inexplicable pain--physical and emotional--in this third novel. I even started reading an online webtoon entitled 'Siren's Lament' for better research, and it's been a tremendous help to me. Plus,the art style was incredible and impressive. I began reading another webtoon called 'I Love Yoo' as well. It's amazing.

I was in the middle of typing a new chapter on my black laptop when I saw my phone vibrate next to the keyboard. The screen illuminated a name and photo that made my eyes widen.

My heartbeat pounded inside my chest as my brown eyes stared at the white device.

With trembling fingers, I reached for my cellphone and I simply looked down at the screen.

You have one unopened message, it read.

I pressed my cold lips together and pondered what to do next.

Should I answer his text message or not?

Lucas

When I sat up in my king-sized bed on another Saturday morning, I felt numb and empty.

So this is what they mean by 'it's lonely at the top'.

For eighteen years, I've lived in wealth. I could buy whatever I wanted without any worries. I had maids, servants, and butlers at my beck and call. I always came home to an extravagant mansion. I owned a dozen branded cars in the garage. I didn't even need to go to the mall because everything a teenager could imagine was right here: An arcade center, exotic foods, a walk-in closet teeming with designer clothes, including an indoor and outdoor swimming pool.