Epilogue: Letters from Aura

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything
What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
~Hurt ~ Johnny Cash~

...April 29, 2012...

"Team, come to the mission room," Batman calls them.

Each forlorn team member enters one by one.

"Please don't tell us you have a mission for us," Wally says. "I don't think I could handle one right now."

"No," Batman answers. "I didn't call you for a mission. I brought you here because of these." He pulls out a stack of letters. "Aura gave these to me a few months ago and told me that if she ever dies to give them to each of you after her funeral." He hands them out to each team member.

Each member looks at the letter in their hands, reading their name neatly written in her handwriting. Each member leaves in their own thoughts, heading to a secluded place to read their letters. A few she wasn't very close who didn't get a letter such as Zatanna, Raquel, Barbara, Garth, Tula, Donna, Freddy, and Mary stay in the mission room watching each member leave. Batman pulled out a letter that was meant for anyone who didn't get a letter and began to read that.

Kaldur leaves out the front entrance of the cave into the forest out to a clearing on a small cliff overlooking the ocean. He sits down, letting his legs dangle off the side. He sits there for a few minutes before opening his letter to read. Dear Kaldur, our leader... As he reads through his eyes begin to water and he quickly wipes at them so he can continue reading.

Conner heads to his room, locking the door behind him to read his letter. He sits on the edge of the bed, placing the letter beside him. He stares at the letter for a few minutes before taking a deep breath and opening it.

Megan leaves to the seclusion of her bioship, hoping it will make her feel somewhat better. She takes a slow decent to the floor in the middle of the ship, not wanting to sit in a chair. She's already tearing up at Aura's handwriting. She lets out a few sobs. The bioship reacts and the floor surrounds her in an embrace. She slightly smiles before opening the letter and losing it again.

Garfield turned into a bird, taking off to a little cave he found on the outside of the mountain. He turns to normal, dropping the letter from his mouth to his hands. He immediately rips open the letter to read. Tears begin to fall onto the paper before he realizes.

Artemis left to go sit in Aura's old room of the cave.

Dear Artemis,
Take care of yourself and my brother. I fully believe you two will be married one day. He really loves you. Don't tell him I told you this, but he would always talk to me about the different ways of how he could propose to you one day. He can never make up his mind. That's our Wally for ya though. Though, he's not the reason you're reading this. Obviously I've passed. As I said take care of yourself and my brother. This is expected as what we do everyday is incredibly dangerous. Death is something that's hard on everyone, but it's a natural thing to happen. Some it happens to earlier than others. Some get to grow old and some don't. It's a part of life. I've never believed in God, but I do believe in heaven. Live and love for me, dear sister. We will meet again one day. That is one thing I can promise.💚