Chapter 8

I tossed and turned in my sleep all night. I couldn't stop thinking about what I had to go through with that Steele situation. I must've showered a dozen times to get his scent and the touch of him off me.

Never in my life have I had to do something like that. I kept thinking what if Drennon would've never came in when he did, what would've happened?

I sat up in my bed pulling my knees to my chest. I knew I wasn't going to get any sleep, so I went in the kitchen to get a glass of water.

The only thing good about that situation was me being free from this place. I thought about Tommie and where she could be at. Maybe when I leave I'll try to find her. When I had finished drinking the water, I turned around to be bumped by a strong built figure which made me drop the glass.

"Use a broom to sweep it up so you don't cut your hand." I knew that deep voice by now: Drennon.

It smelled like he had been burning firewood all day.

"I didn't know you cared so much."

"I don't. I just don't want to have another mess to clean up." He walked over the broken glass and sat at the kitchen table. He then took off his shirt and I noticed that a bullet wound had penetrated him.

"Oh my God, your bleeding." I said in shock.

He looked at me with the most stalest face ever. "No shit Sherlock. I'll be alright though, nothing a little whiskey can't fix."

"You actually think whiskey is the answer to making it better? You need to clean and stitch it up before infection sets in."

"I didn't know you cared so much and like I said, I'll be fine." He said mocking me.

I went over on in the cabinet to get the first aid kit. I didn't care what he said, I'm stitching him up whether he likes it or not.

"Let me see your arm." I demanded putting on some safety gloves.

"I just told you I was fine now go and leave me alone."

"You being stubborn isn't going to make it better neither. Now you can sit and let me help or risk loosing your arm."

He looked off to the other side of him with irritation written on his face. I was about to put the first aid kit back when he lifted his upper shoulder to where he was shot at.

"Now that wasn't so hard." I said popping the glove on my wrist.

I started off by cleaning it with betadine followed by some rubbing alcohol. "I'm letting you know now this is going to sting so I need you to be still."

As I poured the rubbing alcohol, I felt his muscle tense up. "You want me to stop?"

"I'm okay, just keep going."

I could tell he was in pain so I injected some anesthesia so numb the pain. "This will make everything less painful."

With the help of the anesthesia, I was finished in no time. When I was done with the last suture, I pulled my gloves off and examined the stitches. The touch of his skin was smooth and warm.

When I ran my hand across his skin, both our eyes locked and I felt nervous because the only time I've seen his eyes this up close was when I first got here.

This time was different though. Usually his eyes are cold and dark, but now they're calm and peaceful. I realized I was staring too long and snapped myself out of it.

"It looks good, just make sure you keep this antibiotic on it." I said applying some.

As I was packing things up, I looked over to see Drennon staring at me. "Can I help you?"

"Why'd you did that for me?"

"You was in pain and if I could help, I did what I could do." I said smiling at him. He still was staring at me as if he was studying me.

Growing uncomfortable, I went over to the cabinet to put away the kit. When I turned around, Drennon was right in front again this time almost in my face.

He was so close that I could feel the warmth of his body heat.

"I don't say this often, but thank you for looking after me like that." His voice was so calm.

It made me nervous how serene he was cause half the time he's always so serious. "As many times you've looked out for me, it's no problem."

I tried moving around him but he stopped me and tilted my head up to his lips. The feel of his breath touched my lips.

Leaning in more, I pursued my lips closer to his until he pulled away from me. He went over into the living room and turned the tv on like nothing happened.

I was taken aback at what just happened. I stood there in shock and silence as I tried to get myself together.

"Drennon we need to talk." I said turning the tv off.

"We don't have nothing to talk about, now turn the tv back on."

I snatched the remote away from him as he tried to get it back. "You said if I helped you get Steele, I could go free. Well I held up my part of the deal now it's your turn."

He looked at me and started laughing. "You seriously thought you'd get off that easy? Your dumber than you look."

I wasn't understanding what was happening right now. I did what I was supposed to do now it's time for Drennon to do what he's supposed to do and that's to let me go.

"What do you mean? I did everything you told me. From having that nasty of a man touch all on me to playing an escort." I was yelling by now at this point.

"I said all that good shit to get you to do it. You really thought I was gonna let you walk out of here just like that?"

"So I'm still being punished for another person's wrong doing. That is not fair. I'm not my father." Tears were beginning to form on my eyes.

"It doesn't matter. That's the way of the streets: if you can't get to the person you after, find the next closest person to him."

Tears were rolling down my face and into my shirt. I've never been so humiliated and disgusted in my life. I was making me mad by the second because he lied and doesn't even care. Just got my hopes up for nothing.

"You may not like it, but that's how it is. Until Quincy comes back with my stuff, you're stuck here babygirl."