Chapter 63

"My babygirl Riley, it's been a minute since I've seen you. Still beautiful as ever."

"Daddy, why'd you leave me? I miss you, I wish I could stay here with you."

"I don't want you to think I left you on purpose. It was just my time. I miss you every minute though. I know it's been rough the last couple of days but the storm is over now."

"I just want to stay here with you."

"It's someone far more important than me who needs you right now. It's not your time babygirl, life comes a full circle when you see for yourself a new life. Remember that."

All I heard was little beeps and voices. For a second I thought I had died after seeing my father. It's good to know he's okay and is finally at peace. All the terrible things Katrina put us all through, peace is the only thing on my mind at this point.

I opened my eyes only to close them again from the bright lights. I tried to open them again but this time I did it slowly until my eyes got fully adapted. I figured I was in the hospital after passing out. I don't remember much except Drennon pouncing on Katrina.

Speaking of Drennon, I looked around my hospital room only to see Lee, Tommie, and Bakari. No sign of Drennon anywhere.

"Lee." I groggily called out. Her head shot up excitedly as she rushed over to me. Tommie and Bakari came right over to me with smiles across their face. As they were embracing me, I saw something glistening from Tommie's eyes.

"Are you crying Tommie? Over little ole me?"

"Girl, it just this air conditioning." She sniffed making me laugh.

A stabbing pain shot through me making me clutch my chest. I looked down to see a big gauze pad covering my wounded area. You could still see little patches of blood seeping through.

"How you feeling?" Lee asked.

"I've heard stories of people getting shot and how you wouldn't know the pain until you went through it yourself. It's very discomforting, I ain't never been shot before."

I tried not to put too much pressure on my chest as I struggled to sit up in the bed. That's when Bakari came over and helped me adjust myself so I could get comfortable.

"Thank you." I said letting out a slow breath.

"You know don't have to thank me." He told me. "Just get better so I can whoop your butt in some more Mortal Kombat."

"Yeah like last time. If I remember correctly, I won."

"No, Lee had walked in and started messing me up."

"B, how you just going to blame that on me. You and Drennon boy, I tell ya'."

"Where is he anyway? Everybody's here but him." I would have thought he would be the first person I see.

A sudden eerie feeling came across the whole room like a cold breeze. One by one, Tommie, Lee and Bakari's faces changed almost immediately. They all looked from one another then to me with unreadable expressions.

I was still waiting on a response from somebody to tell me where he was. None of them wanted to speak up. I know they all can hear fine, so what's the hold up?

"Don't all speak at once." I said pulling the sleeve from the nightgown back on my shoulder.

"Honey." Tommie spoke breaking the silence. "He's fine, let's not worry about him right now. Just focus on getting your strength back." She said rubbing to top of my hand.