Chapter 54

"Nineties or today's music." Bakari asked me as we laid face up to the ceiling. I wasn't paying him any attention though. My mind was too focused on if Drennon was okay. Being cooped up in this room, you have no choice but to let you mind run rabid. My own thoughts were killing me.

"Riley, nineties or today's music?" He asked again. I shook my head snapping out of my thoughts.

"I'm sorry Bakari, I didn't hear you." I sat up sitting Indian style as he did the same.

"I can tell by the look on your face, you're still worried about Drennon."

I looked at him as I shifted uneasily. "I just want to know if he's alright."

"I understand your concern but I feel that he's okay. If it's one thing I know about Drennon is that he's a very planned out person. Ain't no way he would've let the likes of somebody like her get over on him. If it makes you feel any better, at least Lee's with him."

"And what is Lee suppose to protect Drennon from, some food?" I laughed lightly. I'm starting to miss her too. Her jokes would always make my day.

"You got me there. It seem like all she do is eat, don't never gain no weight either." Bakari chuckled co-signing. "I'm not so much concerned about Drennon or Lee, Veno is the one. I still don't get how he's mixed in with all this shit."

"Me neither but if it's dealing with my mother, it's not anything good. I'm just tired. Physically, emotionally, mentally. I want all this to end."

This whole ordeal is taking a toll on me, I don't know how much more of this I can take. Right when I thought things were going on the right path, this happens. It's hard to enjoy happiness when there's darkness always finding you.

I still don't know how I find myself sitting here in this predicament. Kidnapped, hungry, aggravated, disgusted. Quiet me, Riley. I know half of this stems from my mother's vengeance against my father.

That still doesn't have anything to do with me, I didn't ask to be here. If life was so hard like my mother claimed it was, she should've used better protection. Why bring a child into the world when you can barely take care of yourself?

She said she was tired of scuffling. What does she think I had to do when she left me behind? Like everything got good for me when she ran off. It was times where some of the bills couldn't get paid and we had to choose between going without water, gas, or electricity.

In my opinion, she doesn't have the right to complain. Katrina took off and found her a more luxurious life while I was left with grit. As a mother, you should want a better life for your child. She did it for herself, why she couldn't do it for me?

"I know it's tuff on you Riley but don't start thinking all hope is lost. I know Drennon is out there somewhere coming up with a plan, he's not just going to forget about you." Bakari gave me a warm smile. I gave him a small one back.

If Drennon is okay like Bakari says he is, I hope he's not coming up with something that could get anybody killed. Hoping that is a strong reach. I've seen how Drennon gets when someone crosses him and it ain't pretty. I just want to make it out of here alive, I want all of us too.

"I'll take your word Bakari. I kind of feel like Drennon's okay too. Just want to reassure myself, you know?"

"I get it." He said nodding. "Can we get back to my question though, nineties or today's music."

"You are so persistent for me to answer this question. Okay um, nineties." I replied snapping my fingers.

"Really? Nah it's a no for me dawg." He said shaking his head. "I can't get turnt to that."