BONUS CHAPTER III - The Part Where They Talk

"Debbie."

"Jade."

"You look lovely."

Debbie squinted her eyes playfully. "Alright. What do you want?"

"What?" Jade laughed.

"Complimenting me as Perrie's mother equivalents to you wanting to ask something," Debbie noted as she rubbed her chin as if she's pondering over something. "I remember there's this one time when you told me I look pretty but then when you already have my approval you ask me if you could take Perrie-berrie to prom. And then there's another time when you told me I lost a ton of weight and then ask me if you could borrow my car because you told Perrie you'd fetch her from her uni. I'm quite observant if you ask me."

Jade let out a giggle. "Dang it. You know me too well."

The pair fell into peals of laughter before composing themselves as Debbie awaits for Jade to eventually tell her why she wanted to meet with her today. And Jade, seeing the woman's eyes convey expectancy and anticipation, knew it was time to inform Perrie's mother about what she wants to happen. But just when the words were lying on the tip of her tongue, all the determination and resolve had wafted away. Jade opened her mouth to force the words to spew out automatically, but it seemed like apprehension had been hauling them back in.

Jade tried to say something intelligible though. "A - as you can see, I . . . I really . . . I - your daughter - I love her very much -"

"Jade," Debbie cuts in, showing the younger woman a reassuring smile that in some way assuaged Jade's uptight disposition.

"I was hoping you won't tell Perrie about our meeting," Jade tells her and Debbie raised her eyebrows expectantly.

"What's the matter?"

"I . . . ," Jade paused for a moment, and then realized that it was now or never. So she sat straight on her stool and let her mind and heart preside over this. "Well, I want Perrie to add Thirlwall to her name."

Jade has been conjuring up so many scenarios, and mostly all of them conveys the anger and disapproval in Debbie's eyes once she tells her that she wanted to marry Perrie. Which is why seeing Debbie still wearing a smile is honestly the last thing that Jade figured she'll see after talking about it.

And then Debbie cupped both her cheeks and squealed like a child. And Jade blew a heavy breath of relief and freedom.

"I'm so excited for the wedding."

"I feel like seventeen all over again," Jade says.

"Seventeen?"

"You know . . . When I asked you if I could have Perrie as my girlfriend. The one when we had dinner together for the first time?"

"Ahh," Debbie remembered, nodding in agreement.

"Yeah. I felt like I'm gonna explode," Jade tells her. And then she laughed nervously, "You looked genuinely intimidating that day, almost to the point wherein I literally pondered whether if I should ask for your permission or beg Perrie to just be with me in secret."

Debbie lets out a giggle. "Jade, don't you ever think twice about me. Obviously as a mother, I look out for my daughter more than I look out for myself because I love her."