1.8

Ashton's expression lit up as the waitress placed down the bowl of ice-cream in front of him.

She flashed Michael a gentle smile, "the rest will be here in just a moment", before walking away.

Ashton stabbed the silver spoon into the towering mixture of ice-cream and toppings, shovelling the dessert into his mouth as though he'd never had ice-cream before.
Luke was sitting beside him, closest to the wall, with Michael across the booth from them with a glistening glass of Pepsi in front of him.

Luke frowned, "Where's Calum?"

Michael cleared his throat, tearing his gaze from Ashton's ice-cream and to Luke, "He's busy with work..."

The lady waitress came back with her customer service smile and overly chipper voice and set down Luke's bowl of ice-cream in front of him. Michael hadn't ordered ice-cream and had instead gotten a mixture of frozen yogurts; willing to try something new.

He thanked her, picking up his plastic spoon and digging it as a scoop into his bowl as Luke picked up conversational questioning again.

"Calum's gonna be here... right?"

"I uh..." Michael hesitated, swallowing the frozen yogurt from his spoon and wishing he could avoid the conversation altogether, "I'm not sure."

Ashton pouted, strawberry topping sauce threatening to trickle past his lips had Luke not grabbed a napkin from the table and wiped it clean.

"Cally has to be here." Ashton stated with a whine, "He promised!"

"He's just gotten caught up, is all. He'll try and make it if he can." Michael chanced at extinguishing the situation before it could blow up.

"But he promised!" Ashton scorned, stabbing the spoon into the ice-cream and clinking the glass bowl's bottom.

"I know and I'm sure he'll make it up to you as soon as he can-"

"I hate him." Ashton puffed and crossed his arms.

"Please don't make a scene, baby, okay? He can't help it when work calls him in late. Trust me, he really wanted to be here."

"Well he's not." Ashton spat.

Luke sighed, dismal, "Mikey... we planned this date for weeks. Couldn't he have called in earlier to say he had plans?"

Michael took a sip from his glass, setting it back down before giving a response he had to think about, "I'm sure he has his reasons, work is really important-"

"More important than us, obviously." Luke rolled his eyes and slouched back into the seat of the booth. Now he was getting stroppy too.

Dealing with Ashton when he was in a foul mood was bad enough but Luke too? God this was going to become a nightmare fast.

"Look, I'm really sorry he's not here. I'm trying my best to make this still somewhat enjoyable, can you two please just eat your ice-creams?"

They both scowled and Michael exasperated, "please? I don't want this to be a wasted night. I know Calum's not here but that doesn't mean we have to give up on having fun. Okay?"

They both huffed out weak and frustrated responses of agreement, and Michael gave them a thankful smile as they returned to their ice-creams.

He knew not having Calum tonight was going to stir some shit up when they all got home, but right now he just wanted to make sure that both males had a genuinely nice night out.