5.4

Leaving the dinner was probably Ashton's favourite part of the night. Jordan and Leo were wonderful people and amazing company, but all Ashton wanted to do was curl up in bed and cry.

And he couldn't do that until he was home and both Michael and Luke were asleep, and he wasn't quite sure if he could last that long without stressing out.

Luke had still thought of Calum as his daddy and, yeah it may have hurt a little to hear but, Ashton's main concern was that Luke wasn't being honest with them. Maybe Luke wants Calum back but just doesn't want to say so? Maybe Luke didn't want Calum to leave? Maybe Luke doesn't like their new dynamic?

Ashton was stressed to the max and he swore he was going to lose his mind.

"Hey, Ashton?" Jordan gently grabbed Ashton's arm before the man could get into his car where his partners were already waiting.

"If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask." Jordan offered a small smile. "I mean it."

"Thanks." Ashton tiredly replied, hoping his smile didn't look too fake. He appreciated the offer.

"Goodnight." Jordan grinned, stepping back and waving the car off.

"Ashton, maybe I should drive." Michael worried, sitting in the front passenger seat and watching the way Ashton's eyes almost seemed to be closing.

"No, it's okay."

"I'm serious, pull over."

"You've had a couple drinks, you can't drive." Ashton insisted.

"I'm still more alert than you are, pull over." Michael pestered, trying not to wake Luke who'd fallen asleep in the backseat.

"No, I'm fine!" Ashton instinctively veered the steering wheel when Michael tried to grab it.

Michael's heart stopped for a solid few seconds as the sound of a loud truck horn roared only centimetres away from them; speeding past as Ashton slammed on the brakes.

"Get out of the car. Now." Michael finally managed to speak, no hands were on the steering wheel as two sets of eyes went wide with terror; the car halfway onto the opposing lane.

Ashton trembled out of his seat, almost falling over as he clambered out the car and Michael quickly came around to him.

He grabbed Ashton's arms, trying to connect their gazes. "You okay? Speak to me."

"I-... yeah..." Ashton gave a weak nod.

"Get in the back." Michael hurried to open the back door, not wanting to sit in the middle of the road for too long. He eased Ashton into the seat as carefully as he could.

"I—I'm-" Ashton barely managed to speak, and Michael felt awful when he saw tears start to fall over the man's cheeks.

He buckled the seat belt up and shut the door, quickly getting into the driver's seat and starting the car again. Backing it onto their proper lane, he returned to driving normally; far more awake and alert than he already was.

"I'm so sorry..." Ashton muttered, Luke's head lulling onto his shoulder as he lifted a hand to cover his mouth; too afraid to wake Luke up.

"It's okay now, Ash. Just breathe, alright? Almost home." Michael tried not to make it obvious he was shaking too.

Nothing was said between them until they were home, and Luke had been carried to bed. Ashton was sitting on the couch, head in his hands as his fingers tangled into his hair and his eyes clenched tightly shut.

Michael came back from tucking Luke into bed and cautiously sat down next to the older male.

"You alright...?"