2.0

Calum sat with Michael in a McDonald's booth at the far back left of the fast food restaurant, placing their tray of bought food on the table as he slid in across from Michael.

"I can't believe you talked me into this." Michael commented as Calum handed out their separate meals. "It's so awkward being here so late."

"But it's peaceful too." Calum countered, unwrapping his burger.

"Kinda." Michael started picking at his salted potato fries.

Calum bit into his burger, almost demolishing half of it within seconds. Michael supposed the man had been famished all day. Nothing could be more satisfying than that burger in that very moment for him. He pulled half the burger away from his mouth, chewing and swallowing what he'd bitten off before he spoke.

"Did you want to update your red list?" Calum nonchalantly asked, catching Michael off guard.

"I mean... Sure?" Michael shrugged, not totally against the idea but not completely for it either.
He prayed Calum would keep his voice down at the very least, they didn't need people to listen.

But they did finally have some time to themselves, and Michael wasn't sure how long it would be until they got solitude like this again. Especially since Calum's schedule seemed to always be full lately.

The brunet took his phone from his pocket, pulling up the memo notes and setting it down on the table; prepared. "I noted down some of the things you talked about the other night, but I'm just gonna double check with you. Yeah?"

"Uh huh." Michael would admit he wasn't completely listening.

"The slave and master situation, is that still green?"

"Yeah..." Michael sheepishly nodded.

"Anything you don't want?"

"Nothing in front of the others." His response was immediate.

Calum typed it into his phone, nodding. "Okay, that's easily sorted. Anything else you can think of?"

"I don't like public humiliation."

Calum gave him a cheeky smile, "Now why would I ever humiliate you?"

Michael flipped him off and started unwrapping his burger as Calum upheld the rest of the conversation. "I'm sure you're fine with restraints. Yeah?"

Michael nodded with a 'mhm' as he chewed a mouthful of cheeseburger.

"Gags, yes. Names, yes. Toys...yes?"

"Mmhm." Michael internally cringed at himself.

Calum went back to typing on his phone, "You're pretty much into everything." Michael gave him a dirty grin, causing the brunet to chuckle at his boyfriend's attitude, "That's not very lady-like."

Michael swallowed and poked his tongue out, blowing a raspberry before reaching for his drink, "Do I look like a lady to you?"

"Debatable." Calum hummed, smug with his remark.

Michael scowled, flicking a fry at him. "Rude. I am very manly."

"Ah hah, right." Calum swept the tossed chip onto the floor with his hand and picked up his burger again, "Because begging for your master to untie you is very manly."

"It's very manly begging." Michael retorted.

Calum snorted back a laugh and Michael waved a chip in his direction, "I'll have you know I look damn sexy in black thank you very much."

"Well I'm not going to argue with you there."

"Damn right you're not." Michael popped the fry into his mouth with a triumphant grin etched into his expression.

"Don't get too cocky." Calum lightly warned, "I have your red list done now. Don't make me test the boundaries."

Michael huffed light heartedly. "Whatever." He swiftly changed the topic out of a strike of curiosity, "How was work today?"

Calum scrunched up the wrapper of his now eaten burger. "It wasn't too bad, a little stressful I suppose." His phone beeped and he put his wrapper down to answer the text.

"They're making you work really late hours now." Michael sipped his cola drink through the plastic straw, "Did they lose some workers or something?"

"I think so." Calum's eyes read over the text message, half paying attention to his boyfriend as though a switch had been flicked and his mind was now elsewhere.

"You should get a promotion with all these extra hours." Michael said, putting his drink down and going to finish off his burger all the while keeping a stern eye on his boyfriend's expression; searching for some kind of sign.

"Ah huh." Calum gave an airy chuckle, thumbs moving over his phone screen as he texted the person back. "Yeah."

"Are they gonna hire anyone to help the workload?"

Calum shrugged, taking a few seconds longer to give an answer when the person texted him back straight away. "Maybe. Hopefully."

Michael frowned, scrunching up his own burger wrapper and sitting in silence for a brief moment; waiting to see if Calum would quickly finish his text and return to their conversation.
When the brunet didn't Michael calmly picked up his drink again. "Who're you talking to?"

Calum glanced up for a split second as though double checking who had asked before he looked back down and started texting again. "No one. Just some new guy from work."

"Oh, so they have hired new people?" Michael replied, trying not to grow overly bitter.

Calum frowned, looking back up in confusion, "What?"

"I asked you before if they'd hired any new workers and you basically said no." Michael scowled, "If you were listening to me then you'd know that."

"Sorry, babe. My head's been elsewhere-"

"I noticed."

"It's not intentional. I'm just stressing over all this work bullshit." Calum explained, words slipping off of his tongue with ease as he pocketed his mobile again. "I'm really sorry-"

"Whatever." Michael rolled his eyes, picking at his chips and allowing the conversation to collapse.

"Babe-"

"I don't care." Michael tried to act nonchalant but the anguish in his voice and irritation on his face was obvious. "It's fine."

Calum sighed, not ready to engage in a potential fight with the male. Especially not in McDonalds in the middle of the night. He felt awful, knowing he should've put his phone on silent so he didn't get distracted.

He'd have to make it up tomorrow somehow, because he could tell Michael was growing fed up with having to handle both the secrecy and the whining of the other two.
It wasn't fair, but Calum couldn't help it...