3.0

Michael sat rigid next to Ashton on the couch, eyes locked on the older male in anticipation while Ashton held his mobile to his ear with a slight frown.
It was obvious he didn't like the idea, but Michael was appreciative that he, unlike Luke, was more open to Michael's wish.

"Michael wants to talk to you." Ashton's voice was dead, a heartlessness he used to try and cover up his own painful agony after having heard Calum's exhausted voice come hopeful through the phone.

"I'm not putting him on the phone. Face-to-face. Where do you want to meet him? ...... Okay fine. You got ten minutes to be there or you get nothing." Ashton hung up, tossing his phone onto the table and briefly rubbing his temples before getting up and taking his keys from his pocket.

"Come on." His voice was significantly softer towards Michael. "Let's go."

Michael shot up from his seat. "Where?"

"McDonalds." Ashton scoffed. "Trashy place for a trashy man."

Michael's heart fluttered, knowing exactly why Calum would've picked that place. It was cheesy, but it was their regular place to sit and chat whenever Michael needed his dependent time with Calum.

The car ride was relatively silent, except for the odd conversational advice here and there as Ashton drove.

"Don't let him put the blame on you if he tries." Ashton insisted. "You're not the one who cheated, okay? You have done nothing wrong. You're perfect and you deserve better."

Michael blushed faintly, unable to help but be happy with how good Ashton was with his words. He was strong, bold, and not afraid to tell the truth when he loved someone. It made Michael believe that they were still together, that if anyone were to follow Calum's footsteps it wouldn't be Ashton.

Michael took a deep breath, the car now parked out in the car lot in front of the fast food place. Ashton leaned over, kissing Michael's cheek. "Call me if you need me."

He hummed, gently pressing a kiss to the dip of Michael's neck as he let his hand briefly rest on the man's upper thigh. "Luke's going shopping tonight... so if you want to have some time alone, come home before six."

Their gazes met briefly as Ashton pulled away with a cheeky glint in his eyes, a moment of serenity before he returned his attention to the matter at hand.

"Go on. I can see him waiting." Ashton glanced out over at the building's windows.

Michael got out of the car, closing the door and hesitantly making his way inside. He could feel his heart race, pounding inside his chest as his gaze landed on Calum sitting alone in a booth at the back. Two drinks sat in front of him, and his gaze only lifted from them as Michael sat down across from him with an awkward 'hi'.

There was silence for a moment, broken when Calum pushed one of two drinks towards Michael. "I wasn't sure what you'd want so I uh I got you vanilla."

"Thanks." Michael fiddled with the straw for a moment before sighing and deciding to break the tension. "Did you really cheat on us?"

Calum looked distraught, pulling out his phone and passing it to Michael. "I didn't. I fucking didn't. Just read it. Read it all."

Michael frowned, unconvinced, but took the phone and looked through it anyway.
Calum sat and waited for what felt like hours, nervously tapping his shoe and bouncing his leg as he tried to remain calm; sipping from his soft drink.

Michael finally placed the phone down, silent as he stared at the switched off screen; searching for the right words to say.

"Mikey?" Calum's voice broke him and he burst into tears.

"I knew it! I fucking—I knew it!"

"Did... Did you read the messages?"

Michael wiped at his eyes, using the cuffs of his sleeves to smudge away the tears breaking free. He got up, moving around to sit next to Calum and engulf the brunet into a hug.

His voice was muffled, rumbling against Calum's warm maroon jumper. "You tried so hard. I'm sorry."

Calum hugged him back, swallowing Michael within his hold as he ducked his head down to kiss Michael's forehead; praying he didn't start to cry. "I love you."

"I love you too." Michael squeezed him tightly, scared of moving on as though Calum were already gone.

"I wish they'd listened." Michael said, pulling away and sitting with his head rested back against Calum's side. "Then we wouldn't be broken."

"I feel like I'm standing behind the door." Calum said, fiddling with the straw of his drink. "Missing out because I couldn't explain myself properly."

Michael smiled faintly. "I like the idea you had though." He then sighed. "I'm sorry about Janet."

"She's postponed everything..." Calum's response was dismal. "I saved up so much, worked so hard, and it all just... crashed and burned."

"We'll fix it." Michael insisted. "But first... Can we please spend some time together?" He added a little desperately. "I just—..."

Calum smiled softly. "Where do you want to go?"

"Anywhere." Michael perked up at the chance to be with the brunet.

"You know, it's not good to be fully dependant on others." Calum commented, standing up as both of them moved from out of the booth; each picking up their drinks on their way out.

"I don't care." Michael adamantly replied. "I'm dependent on you so too bad."

Calum laughed slightly before questioning "did you want to walk somewhere or call a taxi?"

"You walked here?"

"I'm renting a small house not too far from here." Calum reluctantly admitted. "I've been staying there..."

Michael didn't know what to say to that. "We can just walk around. I don't mind." He smiled at the end, bringing out a smile in return from the relieved brunet.

"Let's do that."