If I Could Tell Her

It's the middle of the day. Nicole and I are walking home from a day of school. Nicole was paying attention, while I snuck alchemy books into school, showing tricks to people in class. At lunch time, a girl with very light brown hair and blue eyes came up to me. At first, she just looked at what I was doing, watching me closely as I preformed my alchemy at the lunch table, that I sat at with Nicole. The end product was a stone dog.

"That's so cool!" She said, as she looked at the dog in amusement. I blushed shyly.

"Thank you." I said, my voice traced with shyness. The girl smiled, and stuck out her hand.

"I'm Chloe, I think I live near you. It's nice to meet you!" The blue eyed girl said cheerfully. I smiled and looked up at her.

"Nice to meet you. In (Y/N)." It felt like everyone else around me froze when I was talking to her. She was always so cheerful and optimistic. She was like an idol for me, and I wanted to be like her.

The teachers made us go outside for recess, which was at the end of the day where are parents usually pick us up, but Nicole and I walk. Chloe looked at my dog in my hands. "Can I have it? I want to learn how to do that sometime."

"Sure." I handed over the dog, until it was grabbed from my hands, and picked up over my head. I look up at the three boys, who towered above my small state. I tried to reach for it, but one of them pushed me away.

"Give that back!"

A swift kick to the leg sent one of the boys falling to the ground in front of us, and the dog to roll on the floor. Chloe grabbed the dog, and stuck her tongue at them, and we ran back to her house, then we ran to ours.

"Well, where do you want to start?" He said, his hand on the table we're sitting at.

"I don't know where to start." I took a sip of my drink, thinking a bit.

"I went to Central to become a thief a couple years back. Nine months ago, two brothers named the Elric brothers helped me back on my feet- literally. In return, I became their guard and joined the military."

"Isn't it not that fun being a dog of the military?" He said, in question of my choices.

"Well, hanging around them was pretty fun. But we went on adventures, we met good, and bad people. But one of them, the nicest, was Alphonse." I pulled up my gloves a bit, to hide my automail.

"He was the nicest, sweetest, most caring person I've ever met. He was always there when I needed someone, and we protected each other. It honestly feels weird not to be with him." I feel myself smile, then blush a bit while thinking about him.

"O-Oh, well, that's great." He gives me a smile, that doesn't feel to real.

"So, what have you been doing? I wasn't able to call you when I was traveling." I said, trying to deviate from the conversation that was getting awkward.

"Well, I've mostly have been trying to help with the school, and help my mom with the café."

I take another sip of my drink. "That's great. Have you met anyone?" I nudge him in the ribs a bit, and he blushes.

"W-Well... I met this one girl..." his eyes soften as he starts talking about her.

"She was really nice, and still is. She can be witty, and she's confident. Not to mention she's beautiful. But I've done some pretty bad stuff in the past as you know. What should I do?" His blush grew deeper as he continued the conversation.

"Well, if you really like her, I think you should tell her sooner. How long have you liked her?" I ask, wanting to know her.

"I've liked her for.... well, 7 years."

"Really? Damn, you have it bad. Who is she?"

"She's..... really tall, older than you....um.... and has blonde hair." He said, a blush on his face brighter. I feel like he's lying about something, but I wouldn't get into it.

"Well, I think you should tell her, where is she?" I said.

"She's out of town at the moment, but she'll be back soon." James mom sits some cookies on the table, chocolate chip.

I scoff half of them down, with a silence between James and I. James starts laughing. "What?"

"How did you just eat two cookies in less than 10 seconds?!" He holds his stomach, laughing so hard he almost cries. I join in, with a melted chocolate chip on my face.

The laughter soon dies down, and James looks at me. "You've got something right here." He whips it off with his thumb, still looking into my eyes.

I feel a light blush on my face as he pulls away. His face turns a dark red. "I-I'm sorry!" He panics a bit.

"It's ok. It's getting late, I should get going." I say, putting a cookie in my mouth for later, then another for Chloe. 

"I'll help." He said, grabbing onto the back of my wheelchair.

As we walked, he looked like he has something on his mind. "What's wrong?"

"Well... are you going to get better?" He said, his voice laced with concern.

"I'm planing on something, it's pretty risky, and I could die. But, I'm planing on trying to heal it myself."

"Are you crazy!? You could get killed!" He said, turning the wheelchair around to face me. "Listen, I can't lose you. You're the closest friend I've ever had."

   His voice sounds worried and concerned, I can see why. The last time he was worried like this, is when I committed the taboo.

"She's dead! I killed her!" Tears where streaking down my cheeks, as my automail surgery began.

Little did I know, a worried blue eyed boy and mother where waiting outside, hearing everything. Hearing my screams, my cries, and my problems.

The blue eyed boy took his mothers hand and hugged her. "Will she be ok?" The boy said through his newly formed tears.

The mother patted her son on the head.

"Yes, James. She will be ok."