Her Heart in The Armor

I feel my eyes widen, as I look up at him.

"James...." I feel myself lost for words, should I let him down? Should I pretend to like him back? He comes closer to me. Shit. What should I do?

"I know you might not feel the same way..." he looks down, a bright blush on his face.

I feel him grab my shoulders. "But I want to be with you for as long as I can." He pulled me into a hug.

"James..... I... I'm sorry.." I feel tears flood my eyes as I feel sorry for my friend.

"W-who is it?..." His voice sounded almost demanding in a way, with a bit of anger.

"We've been traveling for a while... his name is Alphonse..." I feel myself smile, I haven't thought about him for a bit.

"....What does he have that I don't?" He said, feeling a bit of a stab in my chest.

"What do you mean?.."

"He's always in a suit of armor. Doing you want to know he's holding your hand? Hugging you?" He walks closer to my face, and lifts up my chin. "And kiss you?"

His words put me in shock. I like James as a friend, but it felt like I couldn't move.

"Don't you want to feel his lips on yours? Him holding onto you?" He sounds mad as he brings my face closer.

I panic, and look down, and see the first thing on me is a gun. With my shaking hands, I grab it and put it to his stomach.

His eyes widen as he steps back. "I just.... I just wanted you... is that to much to ask for!?" He walks back towards me, and grabs my wrist, like he doesn't want me to escape his grasp. My automail hand slaps him in the face, with full force.

"Stop being a dumbass! If someone points a gun to your head to get you to stop, you should probably listen!" I shout, putting my gun in my pants pocket.

"He's just a suit of armor!" He shouted, walking closer to me.

"He's not just a suit of armor! He's kind, caring, he's been there for me to talk to! He's always wanted to help people, or anyone even if they're in the wrong! He has a beautiful soul, and I love him! He has a soul!" Tears spill down my cheeks, he tries to walk towards me, but I roll past him, to the door, and look back.

"Unlike you. Goodbye, James."

Time skip

I've been preparing to preform my own surgery for days. Today is three days before my train arrives, and I hope I'll have enough time to recover. Chloe walks into the room.

"Hey (Y/N)?" She said, peaking her head into the room.

"Yeah?" I say.

"Is... is everything ok? You... you haven't been acting right, since Nicole died."

I take a deep breath. "I honestly haven't felt anything for days. I don't know what to feel."

"(Y/N)..." She walks over to me. "What made you feel like this?"

"Well... a couple days ago... James tried to kiss me, I put a gun to his head, and told him who I liked. He ridiculed him."

"Was.. was it Al?" I nodded at her reply.

"You really can't stop thinking about him, can't you?" She said, smiling a bit.

"No... I guess not." I start to change the subject. "I should get to the surgery, I'll tell you when it's done."

Chloe walks out of the room. I take a deep breath. I've concluded that I could die, or shred a couple years off my lifetime, but I'm ready to make the risk.

I've already wrote letters to everyone I care about, and wrote something like a Will, but clearly unofficial.

I lay down, and clap my hands together, then onto my back. I feel a almost tearing sensation as nerves and the healing of my spine and excruciating pain overwhelm me. I scream as the pain engulfs me, and wait another minute of horrible pain. After it passes, I put my hands down, tears forming in my eyes from it.

Chloe rushes into the room, and gasping. "D-Do you need anything?" I feel heavy tears flood my eyes, as my head swarms with pain and my body as well.

But I'm feeling pain in my thighs.

She smiles, and wipes away my tears. "Go to sleep, it'll get better."

And it did.

I could walk in a few days, and run for a bit before my back started hurting. But after the surgery, my only goal was getting better, and setting up for Central. One morning, I got a phone call from Roy.

"Hey. What's up?" I reply, making my breakfast of cereal with some juice.

"We've heard you've resigned from the Elric case. Your father convinced us to let you stay in the military. Are you heading to Central anytime soon?" He said, a bit annoyed at the same time.

"Yeah, tomorrow. I'm planing on training to become a State Alchemist."

"That's sudden, what gives?"

"Well... my sister was just killed. The police said it was suicide, but I don't believe it. I'm going to track down that asshole, they might be responsible for everything that's been happening around here."

"I see. The State Alchemy tests are in a few months. I say you come down here and cram, your dad is also participating in it, too."

"Well, I guess he's going to lose, then."

I hear a chuckle on the other line. "Confident as ever. I'll see you in Central, Sergeant (Y/N)."

"You too, Mustang." I hang up the phone, and start eating my cereal. I wonder what has happened since I've left?

Chloe walks into the kitchen, with a bad case of bed head and looks tired. She sits down across from me at the table. "So I heard you're going today.."

I nod at her. "My train is at three.... hey, Chloe?"

"What's up? Something wrong?"

"I don't want you to call me for a while... you should leave the country."

"Why?"

"I just... I don't want the same thing to happen to you that happened to Nicole..."

"(Y/N)..." she smiles at me, and gives me a hug. "I'll be ok, I promise."

We sit in comfortable silence, until she looks at her clock. "We should get going. It's 2:30."

"Already?" I grab my luggage from the chair next to me, and stand up.

We walk to the train station, a familiar face waiting there.

James.

I walk past him and sit on a bench further from him. Chloe sits down next to me. James walks over.

"Hey.. (Y/N)...." He said, looking down at the ground in shame.

"What." I spit, accepting that it sounded a bit rude.

But who's fault is that?

"I know you can be stubborn about things... but I'm really sorry. I should've asked for your permission first, and that was wrong. But I really do lo-" A train whistle interrupts his speech.

"It...it's nothing. Stay safe, ok?" I look at his eyes, a bit red, but made me forgive of all these years of bullying for a second. Before I walked into the train. And before I left his life.