Chapter 5

Stephanie P.O.V

It was cold!

No, freezing was more like it. We were outside on the bottom of the hill waiting for the fence to shut down, I hated that fence, it was our barrier from freedom.

Stupid fence!

I turned to look at Ashton and Elizabeth, I really couldn't believe they were planning on doing this!

I couldnt help but smile as I glanced their way, they looked so cute together, he was hugging her trying to keep her warm. I really felt happy for them, if this was something they wanted to do to stay together I really did wish them the best!

They both deserved it.

Ashton was a great person, I couldnt believe he had actually suggested this idea to Liz! When they told us I thought they were kidding but I guess not, here we were now, about to say goodbye to them.

I felt so proud of Ashton for making this decision of running away with her. It's so romanitc, I thought, I just hope they'll be okay.

If it were up to me I would escape too but I had no family and I didn't want to be the third wheel with Ashton and Liz. Besides they deserved to be happy together, and I would just have to wait a couple of more months before I left this hell too.

I flickered my eyes to Todd, it looked like he was holding back tears.

The fence stopped whirring and we all looked at it. I looked back at Liz and she smiled at me nervously, her small smile made a lump form in my throat God I would miss her. It would be lonely without those two, there would be no more Ashton making jokes and making us laugh, I would miss talking to Liz about anything.

Todd looked nervous now as well, "Well the time has come" Ashton said standing up making me roll my eyes and crack a smile, he sounded as if he were leaving to his death sentence.

As I looked at him I wondered if he wasnt nervous at all? He certainely had picked a good day to escape, the guards didnt seem to be anywhere near.

 Liz and Todd got up too and so did I, we were all silent for a while not sure how to say our goodbyes.

I suddenly got a larger lump in my throat as I watched my two best friends, sure I was happy for them, but worry filled me, where would they go? How would they survive?

Liz came to me almost shyly, she looked up at my face and gave me a weak smile, she didnt need to say anything,  we both hugged each other instantly and a few tears escaped my traitorous eyes as she hugged me, "Take care and be happy" I told her trying to sound stern. She pulled back and nodded "You too Steph, take lots of care and try to stay out of trouble" she said making me let out a shaky laugh.

"Make sure you invite me to your house when I'm free too alright?" I told her even thought God knew what would happen now.

She laughed and a few tears escaped her eyes too, "I will, thanks for always being there for me Steph and for always listening to me and most importantly thank you for being like a sister to me" she said and I swallowed a sob.

Oh God I was going to miss her so much!

I smiled at her and shook my head, "No problem Lizzie, you'll always be like a little sister to me, I promise I'll take care and you too alright?" we hugged one final time we turned around to see Todd clinging to Ashton crying silently, I half laughed half sobbed.

"Make sure you guys take care" Todd was telling Ashton.

He just laughed "Yes dad we will" he rolled his eyes.