Chapter 1

((Not thoroughly edited so excuse any mistakes.))

You groan at the pain in your back and sit up. Sleeping on a small boat has never been appealing to anyone, especially since you were now homeless. You blink back tears as you remember what happened just hours before...

You were helping your family clean up the table after dinner, grumbling about the fact you are always having to help, not your sisters. They were upstairs, doing Thor knows what, while you were stuck downstairs picking up bones from the meat you'd had for dinner. Everything was quiet until a horn was blown, loud and almost deafening. Everyone freezes and your eyes fall on your father's pale face. You wait for him to confirm what is happening. He looks up and nods to your mother as soon as the horn goes off. There are to seconds of silence before screaming on the streets. "Mother?" You say. "What's going on?"
"We're being raided." She says simply. She pushes you out of the way and runs up the stairs to get your sisters. Your father shoves a heavy sword at you and you slide it in your belt. "Father I don't know how to use a weapon." You whisper. "You said we don't need them."
"You're going to need a weapon now." He says. He gives your sisters their own weapons and your parents push you out of the back door, towards the forest. You guys stop when you realize your parents aren't following you. You run back, your lungs burning during the sprint. You've never been very active before.
You see your Mother, hugging your Father tightly. She kisses him and he runs off saying, "I love you girls!" Over his shoulder.
Your heart breaks as you realize he isn't coming. He's going to go help his older brothers, the oldest happening to be the chief of your tribe, and leave you here. "Go, _____! You can't stop!" Your Mother screams, pushing you back towards the trees. You run down hills, breathing fast and heavy, tripping on tree trunks and rocks, eyes on the bright moon that is your only source of light.
You end up on the beach, a small ship docked at the sand. Families are piling on the ship and your Mother forces you and your sisters up the side of the boat. You arrive and pull her on, and the crowded boat manages to float out in sea. The ship moves slowly, and you can hear the faint screams and shouts, the cries and sobs of people of the village that is now up in flames. You've only been out at sea for a few minutes when someone onboard screams. You look up and see arrows, hundreds of them coming down on everyone. You drop to the ground and curl up in the corner of the ship, hands on top of your head. You watch as your Mother shoves you sisters down and turn towards you, reaching her hand out.
Then an arrow hits her in the chest. You gasp and shoot up. "Mother!" You shout, arms reaching out towards her. She gives you a small smile and touches your cheek. You can feel the warm blood that was smeared on your skin. She backs up against the wood of the boat and then falls over. You see her body floating out in the middle of the ocean, the dark water turning darker from her blood. "Mother..." You whisper. You know you should get down, but you are frozen. Your sisters must not realize your Mother is dead, and you don't think you should tell them. You don't think you can tell them.
Everyone is still frantic on deck, children crying, adults shouting. Someone backs up into you and you feel their elbow connect with your nose. Your head hits the wood, hard, and you fall to the ground, unconscious.

Everything about that night is painful. Suddenly you remember your sisters. You jump up and look around. Did they survive the hectic night? Or were they pierced with arrows and shoved in the water, gone and forgotten? You see a man, an older one, leaning against the wood. "Excuse me," you say. "You knew my family. Did my sisters make it?" He looks down at you and frowns. "Only four people made it." He says. "Unless those boys are your sisters, I'd say no."

You turn and see two boys, one around your age, 15, and the other small. They cling to each other, faces stained with tears. You slowly nod. "Everyone's gone then." You whisper.

A hand sits on your shoulder. "It'll be okay, kid. I know it's hard. I lost my wife and brother back there."

"I'm sorry," you whisper. You are silent for a moment before asking, "Where are we going?"

"We are going to Berk. They are our closest partners in trade and agreed to help us in our time of need."

"They're going to help only four of us?" You ask, pulling your dark cloak tighter around your shoulders and shivering at the chilly air.

"There's another boat behind us." He says. You nod, not caring anymore. No one you loved is alive anymore, there's nothing.

"You know," the man says. "Berk is filled with dragons."

"Dragons?" You gasp. "And we're going there?" He nods.

"It won't be so bad. They adopt dragons and raise them. You never know, you should adopt one yourself."

You nod slowly and he pats your head before walking towards the boys.

You watch the line of the horizon all day, blinking back tears every now and then at the thought of your family. The sun eventually sets and the stars come out, bright and beautiful.

"You may want to get some sleep," the man says. "We'll be at Berk in the morning." You nod and give him a small smile. You sit down in the corner of the ship and curl up, falling asleep as you watch the stars.

You feel a nudge. "Get up," a deep voice says. You're confused. The voice doesn't sound like your Father's. The surface your face is pressed against is not your bed. The breeze is cold and the air smells of salt. This is not your room. You slowly open your eyes and sit up. "We'll be at Berk in just a few minutes." The voice says. You look up. It's the man, leaning over you.

"Oh. Okay." You nod. You remember that you're homeless. A homeless orphan. You snort. It's ridiculous. Of all people, why me?

The ship docks and you, the boys, and the man exit the ship. Your body shakes from lack of food and water and fear. How will these vikings react?

"Welcome to Berk!" A loud voice booms. You look up and see a large man with a long red beard, smiling down at your group. He shakes hands with the man and smiles at the boys, who smile back. As the large man stares at you the man who has helped you the past day whispers something in his ear. He nods with understanding and walks to you. "I am Stoick. The chief of Berk. If you don't mind, you'll be staying with me and my son for a while."

You give him a small smile. "Thank you." You whisper. He turns around as other people begin to shout greetings at the next ship that comes in. The ship holds about six people. The first people who exit are a couple, holding each other's hands tightly and scanning the crowd. "Mother, Father!" The boys beside you shout. They jump into their arms and they all cry together. You blink tears of your own away and while everyone wants to celebrate the new arrivals, you run into the forest, wanting your family.