Chapter 43

Excuse any mistakes. ^-^

**Hiccup's POV**

The pain I'm feeling is unbearable. I can only imagine how ___ must have felt as she died. More sobs shake my shoulders as I hold her limp body to my chest. "I'm sorry," I say again. I feel a heavy hand on my shoulder and  I shake my head. "I can't leave her," I say. "I'm sorry son," Dad says from behind me.

"What am I going to do now, Dad?" I ask. "She was supposed to be with me."

"Son," is all he says.

"I asked her to marry me this morning," I say, looking up at him. He looks shocked, which isn't surprising. I only knew ___ for a few months but it felt like forever. "She said yes. She was so..." I look back down at her and pull her closer against me until my face is buried in her hair. "She was happy, Dad. Gods. She was so happy, the happiest I'd seen her."

I feel him kneel down behind me. "She won't be forgotten, Hiccup. I promise you that," he pulls my shoulders. Panicked, I tighten my grip on ___'s body. "Hiccup, come on. We'll have the funeral in the morning. You need to get cleaned up." He loosens my grip on her and she lays on the ground.

"No, no!" I shout as he lifts me to my feet. I reach for ___, and Astrid wraps her arms around me to hold me back. "I said I wouldn't leave her! Stop! No! ___!" I feel other arms hold me back and I fall limp to the ground. "I'm sorry, I love you."

"Son," Dad says. I nod and let him lift me again. Both him and Gobber lead me back home. I turn back to see Gothi, Snotlout, and Spitelot lift ___'s body off the ground.

~

That night I lay in my bed, Toothless at my side. I stroke his neck absentmindedly and he whimpers. "What?" I ask him. I think of how Dagur wanted me to give up the dragons to save her. And how I hesitated. If I hadn't hesitated she would still be alive. But ___ wouldn't of wanted me to give up the dragons. She would've made sure Toothless and (D/n) were safe.

"(D/n)!" I shout. I completely forgot about her dragon! I shoot up and run out my door. Dad sits in his chair, drinking from his mug. "Dad, I have to go get ___'s dragon."

He smiles sadly and nods. "Come right back, son." I nod before running out and jumping on Toothless's back. We shoot off towards her house.

~

(D/n) lays on the side of her still unmade bed. Toothless goes over to her and nudges her awake. She blinks, confused. She looks up at me and then around, as if she was looking for ___. She realizes she isn't here and let's out a small squeak. Tears fall down my cheeks. "She's gone," I said. She shakes her head. This dragon is smarter than I thought. "It's my fault. She's dead." (D/n) wails and leans against Toothless. Toothless cries with her and I wrap my arms around the both of them. "I'm sorry," I cry. "I'm sorry."

I keep my arms around them until they've cried themselves to sleep. After, I stand up and let them sleep on her bed. I walk to her small bookshelf. The sketchbook I gave her lays down on the wood. I pick it up and look through the pages.

Small doodles and scribbles of dragons and dragon eggs line the margins. Perfect pictures of (D/n) and Toothless are painted beautifully with berry juice. I never even knew she was that good of an artist.

I leave all of her things in her room and wake up the snoring dragons. I walk beside Toothless on the way home, a sleeping (D/n) curled up on his back. Sorrow weighs my shoulders down and I lean on Toothless, my best friend, for support.