Chapter 5

((I actually edited this one but there is probably like a million mistakes still. Anyways, enjoy.))

As the days pass, everything seems to get easier. Hiccup is always there when you need the comfort and Toothless is always there to play around when you need a distraction from your own depressing thoughts. Hiccup has hardly left your side since you've been here, and that's fine with you. Everyday the two of you get up early, go out to the woods or the Great Hall and spend your time reading books on dragons. He draws out ideas he has for everything that'll help Toothless fly with ease.

You think about the last few days as you brush through your tangled (h/c) hair. You hear a knock and go to open the door.

It's Hiccup, a pile of books in his hands. "Morning, ___." He says, walking around you to place the books on his bed.

"Morning Hiccup. New books?" You ask.

He smiles and nods. "Yeah. I got a lot of cool ideas last night."

"Like what?"

"I'll tell you when we get to the Great Hall." He says, handing you a few books and taking the rest before walking out the door. You follow him down the stairs and out the front door.

"No breakfast today?" You ask him.

"Dad said there'd be food at the Great Hall. To start off this week's festival or something." He shrugs.

"Oh." Stoick had been planning this non stop for days. He was excited to celebrate the dragons with not only all of Berk, but a few neighboring islands. Dragons didn't seem to be a new thing to anyone other than your village, but then again yours was rather secluded. You didn't even remember ever having a festival to celebrate anything.

Walking into the Great Hall, you automatically feel a little uneasy. It looked like all of Berk was here, shouting and talking and eating tons of food. They were celebrating the dragons rather early. Hiccup led you to a table in the back of the Great Hall where no one sat. You sat across from him and you both sat the books on either side of you to keep anyone from wanting to sit and talk. Hiccup went to get the food and left you sitting by yourself. You feel uncomfortable until he returns with a plate of food for you to share. "I assume traders brought this in." He holds up an apple. "Nothing like this grows here in Berk."

"Not in my village either." You say.

"Take it." He says, handing it to you.

"Thank you." You smile.

After eating your breakfast Hiccup pushes the plate away and takes out a book that he draws in. "I was thinking last night that maybe I could make something that would make me fly." He points to a sketch on the paper, a drawing of Toothless in the air, wings spread and Hiccup, arms out and a suit on.

"Is that even possible?" You ask.

"Probably. It'll take some time to make but I'm sure I can do it."

"That sounds really cool."

"If you want, we could make you one. That way we could both try it."

You bite your lip and blush. "I'd have to get over my fear of heights first."

Hiccup smiles and opens his mouth to speak, but is cut off when Astrid walks over.

"Hey Hiccup." She says. She walks beside him and pushes the books that are beside him into your chest. You glare at her and she smiles as she sits down next to him.

"Hey, Astrid." Hiccup says. He shuts his book and scoots a little further away from her so she's not practically on his lap.

"You never go flying with us anymore, Hiccup." She says.

"Oh I've been busy." He says.

"You keep saying that. Just come fly, just for a little bit." She pouts.

Hiccup sighs. "Fine. But ____'s coming, alright?"

You and Astrid blink, surprised. You don't have a dragon to fly. "She doesn't have a dragon Hiccup." Astrid says.

"She can ride with me." Astrid stares at him. "If not, then forget about it Astrid." He turns away from her and stares at the table. You look at Astrid who is staring angrily at him.

"Fine. I don't even know what you see in her anyways." She stands up and walks off. Hiccup blushes and you stare at him, frozen in your seat. See in you? You and Hiccup are just friends and never has he said anything about you two being together.

"Hiccup." You say, staring at his green eyes that are focused on the table. "If you want to go fly you can. I'm fine and I feel terrible for keeping you away from your friends."

He looks at you and smiles. Shrugging he says, "I'd much rather be with my best friend."

~

That night Hiccup calls for Toothless and climbs on him, adjusting the straps of the saddle before turning to you and holding his hand out. He helps you climb and pats Toothless's head. "Alright boy." He says and Toothless takes off quickly. The lights of Berk get smaller and smaller as you get higher into the sky. The cold air bites your cheeks as it rushes past you. Looking down makes you nervous, so you stare up at the sky. The moon is full and the stars are bright. As Toothless slows down you sigh and wrap your arms around Hiccup's waist.

Toothless drops slowly to the ground and Hiccup jumps off. He turns to you and helps you off of Toothless. "Easier every time." You say.

"____, how would you like to have your own dragon?" Hiccup asks.

"Really?" You ask. Your own dragon? Hiccup nods. You grin and jump up and down, clapping like a child. "Yes!"

Hiccup laughs and pats your shoulder. "Alright. We'll get you one in the morning just... calm down."

"This is so exciting! I never thought I'd get my own dragon!" You and Hiccup begin to walk back to his house, Toothless following behind. "I don't even know which I'd want- a Monstrous Nightmare, a Terrible Terror..." you shake your head.

"You're pretty excited about this, aren't you?" Hiccup asks.

"Just a little." You laugh.

"It's good to see you happy." He says.