Chapter 32

Sorry for the wait-- writer's block and depression really haven't let up. I have school in two days (ugh. Being a sophomore just doesn't sound appealing.) so... anyways. I somehow came up with a short chapter. I promise I'll try to update as soon as possible. c:
Unedited chapter. Please excuse any mistakes.

Over the next few weeks, Hiccup becomes more and more distant. He says it's because there's so much to explore around Berk, but every time you ask to come he tells you that's it's much too dangerous.

You brush it off. He's obviously worried about the chief thing. So you spend your days attempting to train (D/n) to actually listen to your commands. Sometimes you'll hang out with the twins but there's only so much of that you can handle.

"What do you want to do today?" You ask your dragon as she marches beside you. (D/n) has grown a lot over the weeks and much to her disappointment she can't sit on your shoulder anymore. "More training?"

She growls in disagreement. "Oh come on, it won't be bad. Besides, soon enough you'll be big enough-- and then we can dragon race!" This seems to make her a little happier. "So let's go to the Dragon Academy."

"___!" You hear from behind you. You turn around and smile at Stoick and Gobber.

"Morning." You say.

"Have you seen Hiccup?" Stoick asks, much like every day.

You sigh. "Not since... Dinner yesterday?"

"That boy needs to stop running off!" Stoick's hands clench into fists.

"He's not much of a boy anymore, Stoick. He's almost twenty."

Stoick sighs. "I know. And he's the pride of Berk-- he's going to need to show up to meetings if he wants to me the chief."

"Yeah, I think that's the problem. Hiccup isn't exactly... okay with the idea of being chief." You bite your lip and look at Stoick with a hopeful look on your face. Maybe he'll listen and then Hiccup won't have to be chief, so then he won't always be so distant!

"Nonsense! If he's anything like me, he'll be ready within the next couple weeks. Now if you see Hiccup tell him I'm looking for him." Stoick says, walking off. Gobber stay behind, shaking his head.

"That's the thing though," you sigh and pet (D/n). "Hiccup isn't like you."

Gobber pats your shoulder. "He'll figure it out. One day Hiccup will be ready. No need to worry."

"But Gobber, he told me he wouldn't be chief ever."

"Well... He'll have to be. Stoick won't be around forever." He says sadly. "And as long as you're by his side I'm sure he'll do fine." He nods and walks off.

(D/n) whimpers and looks up at you. Even though (D/n) pretends she doesn't like Hiccup, it's clear she cares about him. "Well, I guess we should go find Hiccup."
And thank you all for the 6.8k reads! You all are awesome! ^_^