Chapter 9

((I wasn't sure like what to do for a dragon festival so I used some ideas from How To Train Your Dragon (book)'s Thorsday Thursday and HTTYD2 so the ideas are not mine. So excuse any mistakes.))

"What was that for?" You demand, your hand on your jaw. You'd fallen out of your chair, and Astrid walks over to you.

"For taking Hiccup." She sneers.

"What are you talking about?"

"He's my boyfriend. Mine. And I'm tired of you getting in the way." She stomps off, leaving you alone.

"Well then." You mutter, standing up and rubbing your jaw. You walk out the door and see Hiccup walking up the path.

"Hey, ____ sorry it took longer than I thought it would, but it's over- what happened?" He asks, his eyes on your jaw. It's probably swollen and bruised already...

You pause. "Uh... nothing." You bite your lip and look down.

"____." He says.

"I uh- just fell." You shrug. Hiccup grabs your hands and you look up at him.

"Just tell me." He says. You shake your head. "____..."

You sigh. "It was Astrid."

"Astrid?"

"She hit me."

Hiccup lets go of your hands and walks away. "Wait, Hiccup. Where are you going?"

"I'm going to ask her why she thinks she can hit you."

You grab his arm and he stops. "Please don't. I don't want to start anything."

"But she-"

"Please. It doesn't matter." You take his hand and he sighs.

"Alright, fine."

"Thank you." You take a deep breath.

"Why did she hit you anyways?"

"She thinks I'm taking you away from her." You roll your eyes and Hiccup laughs.

"That's ridiculous." He mutters. As you reach the middle of the town, you see everyone gathered around a booth. You walk around a crowd of vikings and see Gobber and a few other vikings shoving eggs in their mouths.

"What in the name of Odin are they doing?" You ask.

"It's the 'How Many Gulls' Eggs Can You Eat in One Minute?' contest." Hiccup says.

"Uh..." you cringe as you see a viking throwing up in a bucket. "Ew." You turn away and Hiccup laughs. "That's disgusting, Hiccup. How can you stand to watch that?"

"I've been watching this competition for my whole life. You get used to it." He shrugs.

"Gross." You shudder.

"Come on. We'll find something else to do."

"Hiccup! ___!" You hear. It's Stoick, happily walking towards you.

"Hey Dad."

"Everyone is wanting to see a Dragon Race, son."

"What's a Dragon Race?" You ask.

"It's a game we made up." Hiccup shrugs.

"Maybe you'd like to show her by having one."

Hiccup nods. "Alright."

"Great. Your friends are already getting ready. Join them and I'll take ___." Stoick sets a heavy hand on your shoulder and you smile up at him.

"Alright." Hiccup waves to you and walks off.

"He likes ya." Stoick whispers in your ear.

"Likes me?" You blush and Stoick nods.

"Well, let's go get our seats." Together you and Stoick walk to the Dragon Academy. You'd never noticed, but wooden planks had been built above the academy. The planks had large had five large holes with nets connected at the bottom. Your seats were higher above everyone else's, giving you a great view. You sit beside Stoick and he explains the rules to you. The rules are simple enough, whoever gets the most sheep in their net wins. Gobber walks to you and Stoick and stands beside you. "So, who do you think will win?" He asks.

You shrug. "I don't know how good the others are."

"Hiccup will win. Hiccup almost always wins." Stoick says. "It's starting." He points to the opening gates. You immediately spot Hiccup and Toothless as they walk out in the arena, in front of Astrid. As soon as everyone enters they board their dragons and the race begins.

At first it's confusing; the dragons go by so quickly all you see is a blur. It's not until Hiccup gets two sheep in his net that you finally get into the game.

After 10 minutes Gobber releases a black sheep. "It's an automatic win if you get it in your net." Stoick explains. Much to your disappointment, Astrid grabs the black sheep. She is speeding towards her net when you see Hiccup and Toothless coming up beside her. Toothless knocks the sheep out of her dragon, Stormfly's claws and drops it in Hiccup's net.

Everyone erupts in cheers; and you do too, much to your surprise. Hiccup smiles directly at you and flies over. When he lands Stoick pats his shoulder and you throw your arms around Hiccup's neck. You freeze and then try to back up, but you are held there by Hiccup's arms as they wrap around your waist.