Chapter 7

((Alright, this chapter was a struggle. But I edited it.))

After teaching (d/n) a few simple tricks of obeying commands Hiccup decides to go for a walk with her to Gobber, who would help make a saddle for her.

"Gobber?" Hiccup calls as we reach the building.

"What can I do for you, Hiccup?" He asks as he walks toward you and Hiccup.

"We need a saddle for ___'s dragon." Hiccup says.

"Ah, a Deadly Nadder." Gobber says coming up to (d/n) and petting her neck. She growls quietly and you pet her softly so she'll stay calm. "Alright Hiccup. With your help, we'll have this saddle done in no time."

"Great." Hiccup says before turning to you. "I'll take her and get measurements for the saddle. Why don't you go buy fish for her?"

You smile. "Alright." You pet (d/n) one last time and walk off, waving to Hiccup and Gobber.

You walk until you hear, "Where are you going?" You sigh. Astrid. Of course. Forcing a smile, you turn in her direction.

"I'm getting fish for my dragon." You say. You walk around her, not wanting to talk. She grabs your arm and drags you to the side of a small house.

"Look. I don't know what you think you're doing, trying to steal Hiccup from me but it won't work." She sneers in your face as she presses you against the wall.

You shove her back and walk away. You're far too socially awkward to come up with smart things to say back quickly. It'll take you at least five minutes to come up with a half decent comeback, so you keep your mouth shut and walk off.

~

Now carrying a heavy basket of fish, you push the memory of Astrid in the back of your mind. No need to make yourself more annoyed. Out of breath, you make it to Hiccup who is attaching a saddle to (d/n)'s back.

"Just in time." He says, grinning.

"Looks great." You say, dropping the basket of fish on the ground and walking around Hiccup to see the saddle.

"Looks pretty good if I do say so myself." He says proudly, making you smile. "Let's feed her, then we'll see how well she flies."

You nod and kick the basket of fish over so it all pours in front of (d/n). Her eyes light up and she dives into the fish. You pat her back as she eats and Hiccup feeds a few fish to Toothless, who stares at (d/n) happily.

When (d/n) finishes, she pushes against you and does that adorable purring noise again. "Alright, ready?" Hiccup asks. He climbs up on Toothless and you climb on (d/n) and adjust the straps.

You take a deep breath and look at Hiccup. "Ready." You say.

"Alright, let's go." He says. He shows you how to get (d/n) to fly up, and with only a little panic attack you manage to keep still in the air.

Before you know it, flying with (d/n) becomes so simple you don't have to think about anything.

"How about we race?" Hiccup asks.

"Alright, Haddock. Let's race."

"First to get to that island," he points to a speck on the horizon. "wins."

"Alright, let's go."

"Ready?" He asks. "Go!"

You both shoot off, eyes on the speck of island. The wind burns your face and and it's hard to see. "Alright, (d/n). We've got this. It's all good." You look around and see Hiccup and Toothless are ahead. "Come on girl! We've got this."  (D/n) speeds up and you salute Hiccup as you pass him. He smiles and rolls his eyes.

The island that was once a speck, is now huge and filled with trees. Much to your disappointment you and Hiccup land at the same time, your landing much sloppier than his.

"Alright, let's agree that I have won this one." He says.

"You did not. It was a tie." You say.

"But my landing was much better."

"You've been at this for over a year! I just started today." You insist.

"Alright, alright. A tie."

You laugh and shake your head, flying up. Hiccup follows. The rest of the day goes by quickly and soon enough you're dragging (d/n) up the stairs to Hiccup's room.

"____." Hiccup says from behind you. You turn towards him and he looks down, scratching the back of his head. Then he drops his arms and pulls you in for a hug, his arms wrapping around your waist. You hesitate for a moment before hugging him back. "Goodnight." He says as he pulls back and walks down the stairs.

"Night," you whisper.