Chapter 10

((This chapter is awkward, I'm sorry. Enjoy anyways & please excuse any mistakes.))

Everyone goes to the Great Hall for dinner, and you and Hiccup sit with his friends. Hiccup happily talks with you, and Snotlout tries to get your attention every few minutes while Fishlegs rolls his eyes every now and then as he reads his new book.

"Ugh, forget it Snotlout." Ruffnut says.

"She's not interested." Tuffnut finishes.

Snotlout pouts and you laugh. Everything is fine until Astrid walks in. She stands behind you and Hiccup, a plate of food in her hand. "May I sit here?" She places her plate between yours and Hiccup's and sits between you on the bench, shoving you off the side and on the floor. "Thanks."

"Astrid!" Hiccup stands and comes to help you off the floor. "What's your problem?"

"She is my problem." Astrid points at you.

"She hasn't done anything!"

"You're always with her, and you're supposed to be with me. It's not fair."

"We were never together anyways, Astrid. And I can stay around whoever I want."

"Hiccup you can't like her."

"Why not?" He demands.

"Just look at her. She isn't one of us. She'll never be one of us." You look down, not wanting anyone to see the hurt in your eyes. You just walk out before you can hear anymore.

You manage to make it to the front porch of Hiccup's house before you hear Hiccup calling your name. You sigh and slowly turn to face him. "Listen-"

"It's fine, Hiccup. I'm used to it. She's right anyways." You turn to walk off but Hiccup grabs your arm so you'll face him.

"No, listen." He sits you down on the porch steps and takes your hand. "She's not right, ___. Don't listen to her, she's just jealous because I like you-" He cuts off mid sentence, his face a bright red.

"You... you like me?" You whisper.

Hiccup nods. "What is there to like about me?"

"Just..." He shakes his head and gestures towards you.

"You just gestured to all of me." You say.

"Exactly." He stands and pulls you up beside him. "Let's go back."

"Alright." You sigh. He takes your hand and you walk back to the Great Hall. Astrid is gone but everyone else is still seated. As you take your seat Fishlegs, Snotlout, Ruffnut, and Tuffnut's eyes fall on yours and Hiccup's intertwined fingers.

"Aw man." Snotlout mutters.

"You never had a chance anyways, Snotlout." Fishlegs says.

~

"I'll see you in the morning then." Hiccup says before you walk in the bedroom.

You smile. "Yeah." You kiss him on the cheek. "Night."

"...Night." he whispers as you shut the door softly.

(D/n) is already there, laying halfway on the bed and halfway in the floor. She doesn't like staying away from you during the night. You lay beside her and sleep soundly, no nightmares at all.

~

The next morning it's Stoick's voice that wakes you up. You sit up and listen. "Son, you don't understand. They are coming. Here. They're not coming here for anything other than war."

"Dad that doesn't mean you can just blame her."

You jump out of bed and change quickly, shoving your shoes on. You throw the bedroom door open and hear the front door slam. "Dad!" Hiccup shouts.

You slowly walk down the stairs. "Hiccup?" You call. He walks to the front step. "What's wrong?" He shakes his head at you. "Tell me."

Hiccup sighs. "This morning Toothless and I went flying. We saw a ship. It didn't have anyone familiar on board and no one knows where they're from... and they're- they're coming here. For war."

"Why?" You whisper.

"Because you got away."

"Got away from what?"

"The people who raided your village, they raided it to kill the chief's family. You're the only one in the family who got away."

You nod slowly. "Oh." So this is my fault, you think. People are going to die because of me. You call for (d/n) and walk outside.

"Where are you going?" Hiccup calls.

"I'm leaving. I can't let them come here." You put (d/n)'s saddle on and she gives you a worried look. "It's fine." You whisper.

"So you're going to let them kill you, just to stop war?" Hiccup says from behind you.

You sigh. "I can't let them hurt you guys." You whisper before beginning to climb on (d/n)'s back. Hiccup's arms wrap around your waist and drag you back down to the ground. You kick your legs out and try to loosen his grip. "Stop, Hiccup! I have to do this! Put me down!" You shout as he drags you back inside, leaving (d/n) on the porch alone. "Hiccup!"

He drops you and blocks the door. "I am not letting you go out there to get yourself killed."

"Hiccup-"

"Listen. Whatever we do, we do it together, okay? We can stop this." He grabs your hands.

"I can't let you get hurt." You whisper.

"And I can't let you get killed. Please, ___. Don't go. Stay here. We can fix this together." He whispers and presses his forehead against yours.

You sigh again. "Fine. Okay."

Hiccup takes a deep breath and smiles. "Thank you."

"So what are we going to do?" You ask.

"We're going to have to get some help." Hiccup says. "Come on." He takes your hand and drags you out the door to your dragons. You board (d/n) and fly off to the Great Hall where everyone is talking about the upcoming war.

"I take it your Dad told them." You whisper to Hiccup as you walk inside.

"Just stay close to me." He whispers, taking in all the angry stares vikings are giving you. You nod and cling to his arm, looking down. You reach Hiccup's friends who stare at you as if they're undecided whether they hate you or not. "Guys, I need your help." Hiccup says. They stare at him, arms crossed.

You take a deep breath and release Hiccup, stepping closer to them. "Look, you guys can go ahead and hate me because I messed up. I should've let them kill me but I didn't. Please, please help us fix this. If I survive, when it's over I'll leave so I won't be a problem anymore. Please."

Fishlegs is the first to smile. "I'll help." He says.

You smile back gratefully. "Thank you."

"We'll help too." Ruffnut says. Tuffnut nods and smiles.

"I will too." Snotlout says. Astrid walks up and crosses her arms, eyes full of anger.

"I'll help." She says.