Chapter Forty Eight

Isaac's POV

Hailey and I sit quietly in the waiting room that's down the hall, a few feet away from Angela's room, I don't miss the space that Hailey has put in between us though. She doesn't take the seat next to me like she normally would, in fact she sits two chairs down to my left, keeping her distance. She's afraid of me again, she doesn't trust me, and that fücking kills me.

I was on my way back home from a job when Hailey called. Pops had asked me, or more like demanded I should say, that I go collect with Nathaniel, and not fucking everything up this time.

Pops relationship and mine has been a bit rocky after I popped Verdino's three guys without authorization. I knew better, I knew the rules, frankly I didn't care at the moment, and I still don't regret it.

It wasn't necessarily my first time doing something without authorization, but it was my first time killing in front of a estraneo like my father likes to call them, and that's what really ticked him off. Not only did he consider Hailey to be a estranea, but he was even more pissed because of who her father was, so he went ballistic.

He called me every damn name in the English and Italian dictionary that he could possibly think of, while he continued to hit me, kick me repeatedly. It didn't help that he had already been drinking that night so it only made everything worse. He got so loud to the point where he actually woke up ma by shouting, and she was soon rushing down stairs trying to stop him, but she could only do so much.

Things got so out of hand that my mother had to call for help and put Pops men against her own husband, their own boss. They of course didn't hesitate, they immediately came to the rescue and Donny was soon pulling my father off of me, holding him back in a choke hold.

My mom had a new kind of authority since the last time Pops put his hands on me, it was his way of trying to make it up to her. Although this was his kingdom, these were his men, he made it known that they were to listen to my mom, his queen, whenever she felt like he was getting out of hand, and boy was he out of hand that night.

Ma actually packed up her bags and some of mine and left Pops that night, dragging me along with her. The tables had quickly turned and now she was the one calling pops every name that she could possibly think of, slapping him, hitting him as many times as she could. Pops knew he fucked up the second his rage came down and my mom started packing up her things, throwing the D word in my father's face.

I swear I've never seen the blood drain from my father's face so quick, nor had I ever seen him beg my mother so much to stay, to forgive him, that he'll do anything to make her stay. I knew deep down in my core that ma could never really divorce my father. She was just mad, she was talking out of pure anger, she adored my pops, she gave up most of her family for him for crying out loud, she loved him. But we still left.

We didn't go to my uncle Sal's house, we didn't go to my nana's house, we didn't go to any family members, any friends, those would be the first places my pops would go to look for us, and he sure did. We stayed at a nice little hotel on the outskirts of town, and I used any little power I had left to get the room without putting any cards down, pops would be sure to trace them and find us, or my mother I should say.

This went on for a couple days, and by the fourth day I was coming up short on cash, meaning that I would soon have to start using my cards, if my father hadn't froze mine and mom's account already, and to our surprise he hadn't. But she didn't want to give him any hope that we were still in the city, so we left and went to my grandmas.

She of course was calling my mom day and night after my pops went looking for us, trying to figure out what was wrong, talking about how she didn't want her daughter and grandson in a hotel room locked up, to come stay with her, but ma had to explain it to her that we had to stay here for a couple days. She knew my dad, he would go back eventually and find us there, and she didn't want that, at least not yet.