Fourteen • Music

Queen Felicity's Point of View

"You can't hate someone who you truly don't know."

Mary's words keep on repeating in my head. Probably, she was right. I want to hate Dimitrius so bad but I can't. Is the reason for hurting my family enough for me to loathe him? Even though that family was the people who made me feel like someone different.

Dimitrius took me here, he showed me how he's capable of punishing anyone he wants. He held my neck with his strong arms. Those were the only things he did to me and it was compared to nothing that I've been through with my family.

Despite the bedtime stories, the hugs, and kisses, the gifts, and the royalty they've given me, my father has always told me how weak I am to be the next queen.

My mother told me how imperfect my body was. She forced me to be someone who I am not. Most of all, it was Jonathan who despite standing up for me, he still tried changing me to become the vampire-loathing human he is.

That's why I'm giving the lost mate bond a chance. Maybe under the face of the immoral Dimitrius lies a good person and a caring heart. All I have to do is know him and know how I can bring the ardent and caring person he was before.

When Mary walked me in this castle, everything was beautiful. Chandeliers, fountains, gardens, and ballrooms. Although it seemed like an ordinary kingdom, it had something that my palace lacked. This place had life in it. They have friends and families, not servants and slaves.

I walked outside of my room, wearing a simple white nightgown. Following the hallway, I ended up on the door where the grand piano was. When I first saw it, I was tempted to just sit and play like my life depended on it.

Yes, I play the piano. It was something that felt close to my heart. In the palace, my mother didn't provide me with a teacher, Mary was the one who taught me how to play and she played and taught well.

While deep in my thoughts, I didn't realize that I was now sitting on the chair in front of the piano while my fingers were softly dancing on the keys.

There were nights was I just play sad and sorrowful music whenever I feel glum. Some I play with melodic and soft music. Missing the feeling, I closed my eyes and let my heart compose what my fingers played. My head swayed with the melody while my ears every note I played.

Like they always say, music expresses what the mind can't say. I stayed there and played for what felt like hours in paradise. Just the notes and myself, enjoying a moment of serenity.

That's until the lone piano sounds were accompanied by a beautiful tune of a violin. I didn't stop playing, I just opened my eyes to see a man holding his violin while his hands held the bow and played with grace.

I didn't need a closer look to know that it was Dimitrius. I never knew that he could play but nonetheless, I let the quietness sound to a beautiful music. Our accompaniment fits perfect for each other even though I didn't know how he knew the song I was playing. It was a song that I could remember from my childhood.

Later on, the music faded until we both have stopped. "It was beautiful," I whispered in the thin head which could be heard by Dimitrius.

"Mary taught you well," he said while placing the violin down. Then, he added, "You may not remember the words to the song you played but your heart knows how it sounds."