Chapter 1

Pictures of Azariah

Pictures of Azariah

Azariah Williams

"Okay mama, I have to get Zariah dressed!" I yelled back as she rushed me. It was 6 o'clock in the morning and I had to go through this every morning. Especially since she just can't be late to this nursing job. I grabbed her pink Foamposites that just came out and started to put her shoes on.

"You don't have time to do her hair, do it in the car," She said storming into my room. "Lights and Tv off." 

I sighed and shook my head as Zariah was still sleep. Sometimes I wonder how life would be if I never had Zariah, but she was truly a blessing and a well taught lesson. I put my back on then grabbed her diaper bag. 

As I picked her up, I groaned because she was so heavy. My mama set the alarm then we left. 

I looked out the window as she was driving in deep thought, "Anybody tried talking to you?"

"Yea, but you know I don't trust it ma. They're all like Phillip," I said shaking my head. "I would love for Zariah to have a father or someone who can live up to that title for her but...."

"Look, I know a mother isn't suppose to say this, but Azariah you are so beautiful, so put yourself out there. You already did, but get you a boyfriend. You're popular so I know it isn't hard to get." She said making me roll my eyes.

"I don't let that popularity stuff to define and control my life, like you want it to," I said making her sigh.

"Here you go. Girl, I don't want that to run your damn life. I want you to live your damn life. I know regular parents that claim they care always say your life ends when you have a baby at a young age, but hell naw not when you have a great support system. You have your grandma, me, and even your auntie Patty," She explained nudging me as we were at a stop light. "I want you to live your life more baby. You're 16 and if you can live your life when your older and have a child then you can when you're 16 and have a child. You need this."

"Thanks mama."

**

I was paying attention in class when this boy I never seen before walked in the classroom with the principal. We made eye contact and he was pretty cute, but I shook my head and looked away. They all just want the same thing Azariah. Don't go there. 

I continued to take notes that he continued to write on the board, "Principal Napora." Mr. Dinkins said finally paying attention to our principal.

"Hello, class. I want to introduce a new student that has joined this school. His name is Zachariah and he just moved here from Indianapolis. Treat him well for me, and Azariah, since you have the highest grades here, you will be shadowing him.

"But I'm a female..." I said raising one eyebrow.

"A trustworthy and responsible female." She clapped back and I shook my head. I noticed he made a face, so I decided to just let it go. he walked over to the seat next to me and sat down.