Chapter 16

Azariah Williams

I been sitting in the waiting room for hours, so they could tell me how my grandma died. I couldn't stop crying, really the person I wanted here to comfort me was Zachariah...and you know how that went.

Almuerzo said he told Zachariah, but all he said was sorry for her lost and I got no call.

"You okay sis?" Almuerzo asked bringing me into a hug.

"I just wanna know how she died. I can't leave till I know," I said wiping my tears away.

"No I mean't from you and Zachariah."

I scoffed and shook my head, "Who?"

"Zachariah."

"Who?" I asked once again raising one eyebrow.

"sis I'm not finna play with you," He said laughing shaking his head.

"Imma go get something from the vending machine." I stood up and started walking in that direction.

"What should I get..." I said asking myself as I looked at the different chips.

"Pregnant women, should really get baked chips...good for the baby," A voice said behind me making me turn around. I realized it was Jermaine.

"What are you doing here?" I asked making him raise one eyebrow.

"Everything okay? I thought you was here to find out the gender of your baby, but your red eyes tell me otherwise," He said biting his lip.

"I just haven't slept that's all."

"Come on...I know we just met, but I ain't the dumbest nigga..." He said laughing. "Maybe, you'll wanna talk about it over lunch in the cafeteria..I'll pay."

I smiled and shook my head.

"I'm not taking no for an answer." He said biting his lips.

"I feel like you tryna do something else."

He chuckled and shook his head, "If I was tryna do something else. I would be to deep in the guts and hurt the little baby..." 

"Well on that note, come on." I said laughing following him.

I ordered me a salad and got me a 32 oz Fruit Punch Tropicana.

"So...you gone tell me why you was crying."

"I will if you tell me my name."

"Azariah Williams." He said making me raise one eyebrow.

"How you know my last nam--"

"I research things that I want," He said laughing shaking his head. 

I blushed and continued to put ranch on my salad.

"So...why were you crying?" He asked as he took a bite of his hamburger.

"I just went through a break-up yesterday and this morning, I went over to Grandma house so she could see my daughter Zariah...because we haven't seen her in a while. Long story short, I found her in the basement dead with maggots eating her up," I said biting my lip afterwards.

"Damn...you know why she died?"

"No...my thing is if maggots were eating her up she had to be there for weeks or months. And I feel like a bad granddaughter because I never went to go see her in 3 months..." I said shaking my head. "She would call, but I never called her back because it slipped my mind."

"Well, I'm sure she understands with you being busy with your pregnancy, your family, and your boyfriend."

"I don't think you heard me right...I'm single," I said making him laugh and shake his head.