Supercorp | Sunshine

Lena's P.O.V.

I was the one that started it. I mean, I already occasionally called her Sunshine and I thought I would make Kara laugh if I sang her the song. It did of course, but it also became routine for one of us to sing it after bad days, nightmares, and panic attacks. It just helped.

The first time it happened, I came home to my apartment to find Kara in it, looking sadder then I'd ever seen her. I rushed over to her, dropping my purse on the floor without thinking and making it to the couch in record time. I quickly wrapped my arms around her body and she leant into me sadly.

"What's wrong?" I asked, worried because I'd never seen her like this. That's when Kara broke down crying.

"I can't do anything right," She cries out before collapsing into me, resting her head on my chest. I ran my finger through her hair softly and I knew she liked when I sang so I did. I started singing the only song I could think of that might cheer her up.

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I'll always love you and make you happy
If you will only say the same
But if you leave me and love another
You'll regret it all some day

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine
You make me happy when skies are gray
You'll never know dear, how much I love you
Please don't take my sunshine away

I sang it softly into her ear until Kara stopped crying. After she's calmed down, she's laughed about the ironic song choice. I shrugged, telling her that she was my sunshine, and that was when I knew the nickname was going to stick.

From then on, that was our go to cheer-up song. I sang it to Kara when she couldn't save everybody, when Snapper was being extra irritable, when Kara just flat out felt like trash. She, in turn, sang it to me when nightmares haunted my sleep, when I felt overwhelmed and couldn't think straight, when I felt worthless and like a failure.

Then, it developed into a soothing nickname. Sunshine. We called each other it constantly, especially when we knew the other was feeling down. It became our grounding tool. With that name, we felt safe, loved, cherished.

And that's how I ended up at game night with the regular participants, singing softly to Kara and holding her in my arms as she breaks down. Kara, incoherently mumbling, and me, singing You Are My Sunshine to my girlfriend softly.

Winn and James are frozen in shock and I don't blame them because not even two minutes ago, we were all laughing and cheering and arguing as we played Monopoly. Alex and Maggie are just now springing into action. In seconds they're next to us, Alex on the other side of Kara with her arm wrapped around her shoulder protectively and Maggie kneeling in front of the couch, her hand placed gently on Kara's knee.

"I've got you, Sunshine," I say gently after finishing the entire song. At this point, we've both memorized the lyrics entirely. "We here and we're not going anywhere." I start back into the song and continue to rub her back in soothing circles.

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping
I dreamed I held you in my arms
But when I awoke, dear, I was mistaken
So I hung my head and I cried

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine...