Sanvers | Your Favorite Songs

Maggie's P.O.V.

I make sure to remember every, single song. Every song she cheers at when it comes on, every song she sways to happily, every song she claims is her favorite, every song she sings to herself as it plays on the radio. I remember and I keep track and I memorize. And, trust me, there's plenty of favorite songs to memorize because, Alex Danvers, she has many.

I don't tell many people this, but I can play the guitar pretty well and, I'll admit, I'm not half bad at singing either. So, I learn and I learn and I learn. The titles, the lyrics, the notes. I learn all of them and I keep it a secret until our three year anniversary. This year is my year to plan the date and I know it's the perfect time to show Alex what I've learned.

I have everything set up. A picnic by the river with a fire giving us light. My guitar is already there and I've practiced every second I could without Alex hearing for the past two weeks. I've already told Kara what I'm doing and she made me promise to get a video of it. So, with Winn's help, I've set up a camera to record the entire thing once I press a bottom on the remote Winn gave me. Everything is planned perfectly.

We're midway to the place by the river before Alex starts bugging me. I'm honestly surprised she's held back this long but, once she starts, she won't stop. She's making guesses, pleading with me, and threatening me into telling her what we're doing. I refuse to tell. Eventually, we arrive at the site and I lead Alex, hand in her, to the setup.

The fire is just coming to life (thanks Kara) and the food is spread out on the blanket in containers, unopened. Alex looks around, wide eyed, and she soon spots my guitar. By the grace of god, Alex doesn't mention it. Instead she plops down on the ground by the food and I do the same. While I dish out the food, Alex looks around at the trees and the rushing river.

We continue through the dinner without a hitch and I can't help but feel relieved. With my heart starting to pound out of my chest, I grab my guitar and sling it around my shoulder. Alex opens her mouth to say something, probably a question, but decides against it and closes her mouth. I smile and she smiles back at me, giving me an encouraging nod. I nod and start playing the first song. I notice a hint of recognition in Alex's eyes as I start to play and I smile to myself.

If all the stars fell from the sky
The oceans and rivers went dry
The sun and the moon
Both ran away with the light
I'll fill the holes in your heart
Unbreak the strings on your guitar
Together we'll run
Nothing can tear us apart

I go through the first song as Alex starts to bob her head to the music and then I move onto the second song.

Mama take this badge from me
I can't use it anymore
It's getting dark too dark to see
Feels like I'm knockin' on heaven's door

By the end of the second song, Alex is tapping her fingers to the song and my heart swells. I start to play the third song.

She would not show that she was afraid,
But being and feeling alone was too much to face,
Though everyone said that she was so strong,
What they didn't know is that she could barely carry on

Alex starts humming midway through this song and I move onto the fourth, becoming more relieved and relaxed as the songs pass.

They told me
I'd never get to tell my story
Too many bullet holes
It would take a miracle
These voices
Inside my head like poison
Trying to steal my hope
Silencing my soul

As I finish this song, Alex is singing along softly and swaying to the music. I continue through the last five songs and, when I'm done, Alex is grinning from ear to ear and I'm smiling just as widely. As soon as I've played the last chord and set my guitar down, Alex has engulfed me in a huge hug and is gripping onto me tightly.

"You're honestly the best girlfriend ever," She whispers in my ear before pulling away and I chuckle softly.

"I'm glad you think so," I tease, grinning at her happily. She snorts and shoves me playfully. Then, with the most bashful look on her face, she asks me to do it again. I happily oblige and the music carries softly through the night air as I play well into the next morning.