Sanvers | Mumbling

Maggie's P.O.V.

It's a wonder that anybody can ever understand what the hell Alex is saying. Even Kara can't decipher half the crap spewing out of her mouth. It's not because she uses over-complicated words, though, it's just in general. Alex talks fast, especially when she's excited, nervous, or hopped up on adrenaline, and she also mumbles like crazy. I think since she's talking so fast, she is only halfway enunciating the words coming out of her mouth. And, trust me, it's extremely hard to understand. I really should just get the woman to go to a speech class.

At the start of our relationship, I'm constantly having to ask her what she's saying. The fact that Alex doesn't seem bothered or surprised by it confirms my suspicion that I'm not just going deaf. She will start mumbling stuff to me rapidly and I honestly get so confused.

"Ad th ors ay toay," She mumbles after coming home from a late work night. This is an especially bad example because Alex is completely exhausted and seems so done with the world that I don't think even thinks she's actually trying to speak English at this point.

"What was that, Babe?" I ask, getting up off the couch and walking over to give her a gentle kiss.

"I had the worst day today." Alex makes sure to speak clearly this time. I nod sympathetically and give her another quick kiss.

This happens almost daily, usually more than once throughout the day if I'm being honest. By the time our first anniversary comes around, I can speak fluent Alex gibberish and I've noticed people have been asking me more often to repeat what I've been saying. God, I'm gonna have to get the both of us a speech class.

Tonight is Game Night at Kara's place and we're all huddled around the coffee table playing a game of monopoly. I've already gone bankrupt and Alex has 5 dollars and a mortgaged Baltic Avenue. That's it. And, since we're both very sore losers, we're having an in-depth conversation about how unfair the game is.

"Ah mn, 's a ame uh cial kills. Ut do ya pect?" Alex mumbles as she takes another bite of her pizza. She's too intent in our conversation to see the sideways glances the rest of the group is giving her. They clearly have absolutely no idea what she's saying. I chuckle to myself before responding to what she said before, which roughly translates to, "I mean, it's a game of social skills. What do you expect?"

"Exactly! It's not mah fault I'm not 'igh up on the social trading 'ierarchy!" I cry, not enunciating some of the syllables out of excitement and my rapid paced speech. Though, I don't miss the looks the rest of the group gives me, probably for both understanding my girlfriend and for returning her gibberish in my own set of half-gibberish. Alex nods her head rapidly, oblivious and just as outraged as me.

"Ight? 'S so dumb. Ey eed to fix th ules!" Alex's mumbling definitely isn't being improved by the pizza she's stuffing into her mouth. But, it's still understandable as, "Right? It's so dumb. They need to fix the rules!"

"We need ta write our own rule book 'nstead. Let's riot!" I'm pretty sure the pizza I'm eating isn't helping me either. Winn looks at us, baffled, and Kara, Lena, and James just all look like they're trying not to laugh.

"Mmmhm mm mmh mhmh," Alex mumbles and this time, I'm not one hundred percent sure what she said considering,  I don't think she even opened her mouth to say what she was trying to say. But, I get the gist of her offering to bring weapons as long as I make the signs. I might also just know Alex too well at this point.

"Deal." I nod my head firmly and Winn's mouth drops open in sync with Kara's. James and Lena are just laughing hysterically while Alex stares at them, confused and shooting them all questioning looks.

"How did you... what?" Winn seems completely astounded and I give him an amused smile.

"I don't know what you're talking about, Schott," I respond coyly, smirking at each of my friends in turn.

"I'm sure," Kara rolls her eyes sarcastically, "Even I couldn't understand what Alex was going on about and I've lived with her since I was thirteen!"

I hum in response and spare a glance at Alex. She looks at me, raising her eyebrows in question. I laugh and pat her thigh gently.

"Your mumbling was kinda hard for them to understand," I explain with a small laugh and Alex breaks out in grin. She leans in and kisses me quickly.

"Isn't it always... Oh my god!" Alex turns to me in shock and I give her a bemused smile.

"I didn't even think twice about the fact that you understand me! You understand me!"

"Yeah, Babe, I've noticed." My laugh is cut off by another, longer, kiss from Alex. She drops her head into my shoulder and laughs into it.

"I mmh oo." Alex's words tickle against my skin and I smile, kissing her on the top of the head.

"I love you, too."