Sanvers | German Sign Language

Alex's P.O.V.

Honestly, I don't know how we figured out that we are both fluent in German Sign Language. God only knows why we both know the language. I vaguely remember learning it in the summer of 6th grade because I was terribly bored and I've been able to speak it ever since. Maggie didn't mention how or why she learned it, but we both did. And now it's our way to communicate privately while still in a social area.

It's helped immensely. We can communicate around our friends without them knowing what we're saying. It's a great way to make sure the other is okay, to reassure them, and to compliment each other without anybody knowing. If our friends see the rapid hand gestures, they never mention it.

We use the language constantly. On a crime scene when we're far apart and don't want to be yelling across the entire area. At the bar when I'm ordering Maggie a drink and, rarely, forget what she wants, I quickly ask her without having to yell or walk back over to her. At game night when Maggie is feeling overwhelmed but doesn't want to draw attention to herself. When Eliza visits and Maggie reassures me gently when she's out of my mother's view. Anywhere and everywhere.

One night, we're at the bar and hanging out with all our friends when I notice that Maggie is starting to pull away. When I know she's looking at me, I start signing.

"Are you OK?" I punctuate the question with my raised eyebrows.

"I'm feeling tired and overwhelmed. I'm just worn out. I'll be fine." She responds, using slower movements than usual. Then, I know this is something important.

"It's fine, we'll leave." I go to grab my purse but Maggie's rapid movements catch my attention and I turn to watch her.

"I'm OK. I want you to have fun. Don't worry about it." She shakes her head, emphasizing that she doesn't want to leave.

"Maggie," I sign her name, giving her a gentle look. She sighs and looks at me apologetically and I quickly grab my purse. I rapidly sign that she doesn't need to feel bad before I turn my attention back to the group.

"We're going to go, it's been a long day," I say, interrupting the playful argument going on between James and Winn. They all start wishing us a goodnight but, before we leave, Kara carefully pulls Maggie into a tight hug.

"I hope you feel better," Kara signs in German Sign Language when she pulls away, giving Maggie a caring look. Both of our jaws drops and Kara rolls her eyes at us.

"Alex, you do realize you taught me when I first arrived at Earth, right?" Kara says out loud and chuckles. I snap my fingers in realization.

"That's right! I totally forgot!" I exclaim and Maggie shakes her head at me teasingly.

"Thank you, Kara. Have a goodnight," Maggie says, patting her arm gently. We leave the bar and I quickly start apologizing to Maggie.

"Hey, hey. Don't be sorry, there's no reason. I'm comfortable with Kara and I trust her," She says, laughing slightly and I nod.

"Come on, lets go home."