Sanvers | Queer Fam

Maggie's P.O.V.

Honestly, at this point, Alex and I probably know the entire LGBTQ+ youth population of National City. Apparently, we have a way with bonding with misfit children, specifically LGBTQ+ kids, and we've basically got our own queer family. Most of the kids still have parents that they live with, there are some that have been kicked out and are, thankfully, safe, but Alex and I are, like, their queer parents.

The kids are free to come over to our house as long as there is a pre-warning, we usually let it slide if a kid randomly shows up because there's most likely a good reason for it, and they have to have permission. We can't have parents calling the police because their kid just randomly disappeared. They can come over to talk or they can come over to just hang out because, trust me, most of these kids really need to be treated like they're normal and have a break from the rest of the world.

Some kids come visit me at the station and that's when I know it's important. They're either there to get help or have a serious conversation. The Chief has gotten used to it and let's me take a break to talk to them as long as it doesn't severely interfere with my work. It rarely does.

There's so many kids, I'm surprised I remember all of them. But, they're all important to me so I make sure to remember everything. What kind of queer parent would I be if I didn't know my kids?

There's Claire, whose strong spirited and more competitive than Alex. She's beat Alex in a game of pool and bested me at arm wrestling through her competitive fire. Claire, who chose her name by taking a poll online and burned her entire wardrobe on the night she came out.

Lei is shy and constantly worried about something or, more often, someone. They're always worried about making a good impression and they don't mention they're pronouns right away because they don't want to make it awkward (we're working on making them more assertive about their pronouns). Kind, caring, and mildly frantic Lei who accepts everybody without question and can never get away with lying.

Zilla, who laughs at everything and runs from any other emotion. She makes jokes at all the wrong moments and, though she may need to work on her timing, gets people laughing within seconds. Zilla is afraid of very little, but has a deep phobia of moths and commitment. She could be the best comedian to ever live and an even better parent if her damn soulmate would just show up already with flowers in her hand.

Colin chose the name his dad always wanted to use if he ever had a son and made is father cry with 10 words and a hug. No, they weren't tears of sadness. Colin has the ability to make words into something beautiful, the ability to make letters into poems, to make sentences into emotions. He speaks easily and is slow to laugh but always makes sure others are smiling. Colin, selfless, warm, brave.

Cecilia, who speaks three languages fluently and learned English in 3 months just to help her family survive. Cecilia, who got a job as soon as she was old enough and never spent any of the money for herself. Cecilia, who supported her family for years but suddenly wasn't family anymore after falling in love with a girl. Cecilia, who had fallen in love with boys before but the girl was the one who changed everything. Cecilia, who still sends birthday cards to her siblings with enough money for the grocery bill even though they won't respond to her.

Gavin is brilliant. He's brilliant and he's clever and he's witty. Gavin isn't going to Stanford in the fall because he doesn't have a scholarship there. But he does have a full ride to CSU and will be majoring in education. Gavin platonically loves everybody but can't imagine loving anybody romantically. He has a big heart, brilliant mind, and colorful personality that makes him the perfect friend.

Marcelyn is the lover. She loves anybody and everybody. She believes the best in everyone and would make a really good Supergirl if she had powers. She's got the heart and she's got the fight but none of the powers Kryptonians have. She's only got Roltikkon telepathy, which is still pretty cool.

Andy is a rule follower and maybe a little uptight, but he keeps the group from ending up behind bars because Lord knows I'm not good at doing that. He's organized and prepared for anything, except for unexpected panic attacks that leave him shaking. Andy keeps us all together while he's barely holding himself stable. He'd put his life on the line for any of us and doesn't expect anything in return but a place to be himself.

Ani, who has so much hope that she makes me hopeful. Ani, who believes so strongly that she makes me believe. Ani, who wishes so hard that she makes me wish just as hard. Ani, who can teach me a lot and can teach the rest of the world a whole lot more. Ani, who has more passion than anybody would believe and more fear than anybody could imagine.

Jay loves and loves and loves because maybe if they feel enough love for other people, they'll have enough love to feel OK. Because Jay was told they weren't wanted and they weren't lovable and they weren't OK until they believed it. And now they want enough love to not believe it. And they love and love and love because they don't want anybody else to feel the way they do. Unwanted, unlovable, an abomination. So they love and love and love.

There's more kids. Of course there's more kids. The list would go on for pages and pages just listing beautiful, strong, amazing people, but these are the kids that are at the center of our family. They are the very core of what we're made of and, without them, we'd all be lost.