Sanvers | Sticky Notes

Maggie's P.O.V.

It starts when I hear Alex mumble that she's a failure when she accidentally burns a pancake. At first, I thought she was joking but then I could tell she was genuinely upset.

"Babe, it's fine. You've done great," I reassure her, not trying to be overbearing but also making sure she's not upset.

"I never do anything great," She mumbles and I just barely catch what she says. I reassure her again, more gently this time, and Alex lets the entire thing drop. I can tell she's still upset and it breaks my heart that she's so down on herself, so that's when I decide to keep reminding Alex she's amazing and perfect.

It starts with the random, "I love you." The random, "You're beautiful." The random, "You're perfect." The random compliments. Alex always blushes, without fail, when I say things like that out of the blue. She blushes and she giggles and stammers out a reply every time.

Then, it turns into notes. Small little ones on colored sticky notes. Always a bright color. Blue, green, pink, yellow. The notes appear randomly. On important days and on less-important days. Inside gym bags, hidden in purses, stuffed in pockets, stuck on mirrors, placed in books.

They are put everywhere, at any time, for any reason. They appear wherever I can fit them and I can tell they mean a lot to Alex. And I don't only know this because I found a small box full of every note I've ever given her. I know this because she smiles more, takes compliments better, stands taller. She's grown more confident and I'm pleased to be part of the reason.

The notes always say something meaningful or sweet. Always addressed to Alex in some way and always signed by me. There's plenty of notes, all of them different.

There's this one that was stuck to Alex's field clothes:

Dear Al,

I love you, I love you, I love you. You mean more to me than anybody else on Earth. You're worth everything I have and you mean the world to me. Please come home safe today, I'll be waiting. I'll always wait for you.

Love,
Maggie

There's the one I stuck to the mirror:

Dear Ally,

You're beautiful, so very beautiful. The closest thing to perfect, actually. And I see the way you look at yourself in the mirror. Trust me, you don't deserve the look you give yourself. You're beautiful and amazing and perfect. I hope you always know that.

All my love,
Maggie

This one, stuck inside her suitcase packed for a business trip:

My darling Alex,

My love is with you even as we're hundred of miles apart. I'm only one call away and I'll always be here for you. You're in my thoughts and my heart. I miss you already and please be safe.

Lots of love,
Maggie

Neither of us really mention it. Not to each other and definitely not to other people. Though, I'm pretty sure Alex has told Kara. Nobody really knows about it until the game night around a year after the whole thing began.

Because, of course, we just have to have game night at our apartment for some reason. It is all going pretty well, no embarrassment to be had, until Winn finds one of the notes I had placed around the house. We've just taken a break between games and Winn gets up to look through our bookshelf. God only knows why. But he did and was quite curious about the sticky note peaking out from in between a book's pages. He takes the note out with hesitation. The note says,

My dearest Ally,

You're one of the most amazing people I know. You're an amazing agent, like the most badass person ever, and the smartest person I've ever met. You're so smart. So damn smart, it's astounding. You're a genius and you're clever and you always know how to fix a problem. I love it. I love you. Your brain is amazing and so is everything else about you. You've done extraordinarily things and you're going to keep doing so.

Forever & always,
Maggie

I should've known something was up when I heard Winn squeal from across the room and was smiling like an idiot. But I didn't. Actually, I didn't even bother to look away from my conversation with Alex because I figure it was just Winn being Winn.

Alex and I don't pause our conversation until we hear James squeal following Kara's squeal because, though Winn and Kara may be very easy to excite, James Olsen never, EVER squeals. When we hear James, both of us pause and look over at our trio of friends who are all crowding around a piece of paper. A sticky note to be exact.

Alex and I make contact and groan, easily putting the pieces together. The three of them start laughing and smiling like idiots as we make our way over. I pluck the note out of their hands, check to make sure I know which note it is, then hand it over to Alex. She, as per usual, blushes the entire time she reads the note. After she's finished reading it and has kissed me gently, I notice Alex slipping it into her pocket as chaos erupts.

Winn is apologizing for finding the note, James is playfully teasing the both of us, and Kara is squealing and yelling excitedly and asking a bunch of questions. I explain briefly, very briefly, why there is a cute note in a random book and the concept of our note system. Then, Kara can't get over the fact that I call my girlfriend 'Ally' and Winn is obsessing over how considerate it is and James is going on and on about how Alex has gotten herself a keeper. I blush my through this conversation.

After this mishap, the notes continue to be found by our friends, but they are sure to put the notes back in place and continue on with the day. I only know this because I always hear a quiet "awww" or I will see somebody not-so-discreetly put the note back in place. I know Alex notices too because, coincidentally, she always manages to find the note within four hours of it being found the first time.

To this day, our friends are still finding notes all over the place and they will quietly put them back without not one word being said.