Chapter 22

Chapter 22 

I stammered unable to form a coherent sentence, saving me from further embarrassment he spoke, "Don't be frightened, I'm Alexis's cousin!" 

"I heard he brought in a guest, truthfully I was expecting another one of his business partners but you're something else," He gave me an overlook as he offended me with his gaze. I tried to hide from his cunning smile but his eyes just wouldn't stop judging. 

"You knew I was here?" I said trying to change the direction of the conversation. I stepped sidewards, on chance I was going to run past him. 

"News travels fast within the Manor walls," He walked, stepping closer to me. "Don't heed too much on Uncle's words, he gets paranoid easily ever since the murder took place," 

I gulped, "Murder?" 

He looked around, his voice deeper. "Yeh, 6 months ago a servant was stabbed to death 15 times in the back," 

My heartbeat raced, "Did you find out who it was?" 

"Of course we did! It's not like Alexis to standby and do nothing, it was the cook! His wife had accused him of sleeping with the maid, he killed her just before she could reveal the truth," Marcus shrugged. 

I was horrified, how were they still living here. "Anyway, that was 6 months ago! How come cousin bought you here today?" He pried, narrowing his eyes. 

"That's none of your business!" Alexis voice booms from behind, a stern tone. My heart leaps in my chest. 

God dammit! I was supposed to run before he appeared. 

"I-uh-I need to go-" I stuttered, looking around waiting for an idea to pop in my head. Alexis glanced at his watch, grabbed me by my wrist and dragged me behind him. 

"It's time to eat!" 

I looked back at Marcus, he looked at my with a naughty smile, his eyes glinting knowingly. I could literally hear his voice in my head, 'Definitely not just a guest,'

"He's just trying to scare you, no such thing happened." He glared towards his cousin who stifled a laugh behind his hand. 

I pulled my hand out of his grasp, stopping at the bottom of the stairs. Alexis looked back quizzically. 

"I can't go!" I say, hiding my face in my hair. 

"Why?" 

I look up, meeting gazes with Alexis Father who came from behind, he glares my way. Marcus stands behind, a hand on his Uncle's shoulder as he whispers something in his ear. 

"I'm not welcomed here," I mutter disheartened.  

Alexis Father walks down the stairs as Marcus tails him. "Alexis tell your friend that no guest has left without hospitality, she will leave on your accord. It is your house!" He tells Alexis. 

"Well then," Alexis says, "We have Father's blessing! Now let's go!" He speaks harshly. 

He drags me away as Marcus winks. 

How romantic is this version? I think it's so heartwarming. Listen to it and thank me later. 😉