Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"That was amazing!" I gushed, "Thank you for bringing me here!"

We were on our way back to his mansion, walking. The streets were empty, and I was starting to feel fatigue. My lids felt heavy, but the constant cold wind made me snap out the daze I'd find myself in.

"No problem! I wanted to see you smile," He said. "You can't really blame yourself much longer, or you'll end up like her."

I thought for a while. Sometime back I had thought Alexis was too good to be true, that he wouldn't just let a girl like me stay with him. I had a bad reputation. I was homeless with no job. I could be crazy.

So why would someone as rich as Alexis come to save me?

"Who was she?" I asked hesitantly. He looked at me with a smile with a long break of silence he finally decided to answer.

"Her name was Isabella, my elder sister." His voice was pained, and I reached for his hands to give a gentle squeeze. I don't let go.

"Like you, she aspired to be different. She wanted to explore the world, be kind, gentle and safe. My family are wealthy and powerful from generations on and with that comes danger. She fell in love with a poor man and decided to run away. She got caught one day and was forced to stay home, I was at some bootcamp then. She killed herself, the day my parents were going to get her forcefully married."

We let the silence between us answer the unfilled questions. I look up to the large moon in the sky, the cold nipping my skin. Suddenly the world seemed much darker than before and much colder.

"They've changed though. They realised their mistakes, now they don't really have a say in the family anymore. It's just turned into a suffocating prison with my grandmother taunting my Father all the time. Isabelle was my grandmother's favourite grandchild."

"How old was she?"

"20." He answered. She was so young.

"What happened to the boy she fell in love with? He must be devastated."

Alexis was quiet for some time, I took that as a sign that maybe I had went too far with the question. I should have not asked it.

"Oh look we're here!" He looks up, and surely we have arrived at the Montigue Manor. I follow behind his powerful strides.

He opens the door for me, walking me up the large staircase. The lights are dim, the hallways seem empty. I look around in the unfamiliar place.

We stop. I stop first.

Alexis pulls the band from the red velvet curtains almost in anger, letting my hand go. The drapes fall open. Behind the curtains is hidden a large portrait and a human size statue.

The painting is off a young female, unsmiling. It's oil painted, and perfect. Underneath it says 'In loving memory of Isabella Juliet Montigue'

The statue is also of the female, in a lovely dress. The stone is smooth and hard, but the intrinsic details are phenomenal.

Alexis doesn't say anything, he doesn't need to, the sharp intake of breath tells me everything. This was his sister.

"She's beautiful!" I'm awed, she truly was out-of-this-world beautiful. He walks to the other side of the painting where the curtain drapes is covering the wall and he pulls it down.

It's a smaller picture, but it's there. It's of a man, in this picture he's smiling. His straight perfect teeth showing, his long messy hair looking neat and stylish. He was handsome, I had to give it to him. It was just a upper body portrait though. Underneath it said, 'In loving memory of her soulmate David Ronan de Vere'

I look towards Alexis. He jaw is clenched, his body is rigid. His deep voice makes my heart beat faster cause it's harsh and cold.

"He was killed, by my Father." 

x_x Vote and Comment x_x

I MEAN - THIS MAN!! MOM, CAN I MARRY HIM?!! I CAN'T BREATH- 🥵