Chapter 7

"What?" Nick splutters.

I look down awkwardly. This is not what I was hoping for.

I just need to explain to him.

"Nick," I sigh. I scramble out of the fort where Sam is still completely frozen. I walk over to Nick, but he steps back once I'm closer.

"Whatever is going on here, you better explain fast." He glares at Sam for a moment, too.

"It's a rumour, they came up with it a few weeks ago because of that kiss with Josh. Practise. Now they talk about it a lot. Nothing to worry about." I explain, every step I take he takes back.

"That's not an explanation, Jennifer. Something is happening. You'd already filmed the scene, why would you need to practise?"

I gulp, swallowing my lies. I should tell him the truth, but it would never be good again.

"Josh kissed me." I blurt out.

His eyes widen, his steps stop.

"What?!" He looks angry. This isn't good.

"Yeah, he did. When we were finished filming, I guess he couldn't help it; so he kissed me. I said I'd keep it a secret for him, since he felt bad for it."

I hope that could save Josh a little, but Nick still has that fire burning in his eyes.

"Jennifer, you should've told me." He doesn't seem angry with me anymore, he wraps me in his arms. I think I've made it worse for everyone.

I remember Sam is there, and he must be confused. Luckily, he doesn't know the truth. Which means I've got everyone onto a lie.

Not to mention I've got Josh in trouble.

"Jennifer, all these pictures, they just look so suspicious in your case. I think they edited it, those jerks."

I look down for a second and when I feel his arms release me, I look up at him. I manage a slight smile.

"Yeah, well." I start, but don't finish, because that's when I see Josh standing next to us.

I can't tell his expression, he looks focused, his eyes are blank.

"Oh, um, hey Josh." I turn to face him, whereas Nick is a little slower to follow the direction.

"Jen.." He nods at me stiffly.

"Josh." Nick interrupts, his voice is cold.

"Who wants to watch a movie?" Sam saves the day, flinging his arms around me and Nick. He stands in the middle of us, and Josh across from us. He shrugs his shoulders.

Nick tries to look past Sam to me, but I don't make eye contact. I smile at Josh.

"Yes, let's do that."

I follow Sam to the couch. Nick comes behind us, Josh the last one. I sit next to Sam, and wonder who will get the spot next to me. Nick does try very hard, and ends up so close to me I get squished. Josh takes a seat next to Sam on his other side.

I look at my hands. This will be a very silent movie, apart from the fact Nick will whisper questions about what's going on in my ear. I share a look with Josh when Sam gets up, and we both holds hands for a second before Sam returns.

"Who wants to choose a movie?" Sam asks, holding out a collection. They're my movies, but I haven't watched any of them for ages.

"I'm okay, I chose the last movie." I wink at Sam, and he laughs.

"Yes, please don't let Jennifer choose again." He grins.

Josh looks at them closely, browsing the ones he thinks I would like, it seems. But once Nick starts to look, Josh backs off, and leans back on the couch, his face still blank.