Chapter 9

"We have new reports, as soon as JLaw and JHutch get quiet, sources tell us they're still together, keeping it a secret. We will have information daily, with our ways to get the news to you. Check out our first magazine about the subject, "JLaw Cheats!? What does this mean for fans?" We'll be back soon."

Great. Just great. This is all a big lie, they know I'm with Nick and Josh is with- what's her name? Oh of course, Josh is with Claudia.

I swear under my breath as I flick off the TV.

"Jen?" Josh appears at the bottom of the stairs, his hands dug into his pockets.

"Josh." I smile.

"What were you watching?" He asks, walking over to the couch.

"Some crap." I shrug.

He smiles, and I look at his eyes, they are clear blue, like water. The way his lips part each time he smiles, the way he tilts his head back slightly.

"Sure it was." He nods.

I fall on the couch and he sits next to me, his back straightened.

"You alright?" I ask as he fiddles with his thumbs.

He looks up at me.

"Yeah- yeah, I'm fine. Nervous."

"Nervous?" I question, Josh is rarely nervous, or at least not this kind of nervous, his uncomfortable vibe, the way he cant sit still.

"Uh, yeah. It's nothing." He gives me a unmeaningful glance, a purse of the lips, a quick raise of the eyebrows. One of the looks Josh gives I hate.

"This doesn't look like nothing." I answer, shifting closer to him.

"It is- I promise. It's just some stupid date; not much about it is exciting."

I realise things, a date. That means it's with Claudia. But why would he be nervous about that? More importantly, why would I be nervous about that?

"You're proposing." I come to, putting the pieces into place. It all makes sense.

He widens his eyes in disbelief, but he's quick way to say it's not true makes me more upset than I should be.

"No!" He splutters, rubbing his eyes a few times before continuing.

"No, I'm not proposing! I'm just- I-" He looks around for help.

"Josh, just tell me. It's okay." I put a hand on his shoulder, making his body freeze for a moment, before accepting the gesture.

"Jen. Claudia is pregnant."

That's when it's not okay.

*

"Jen, Jen? Come on Jen!" I hear a faint voice, Josh's voice. He's telling me to wake up, wake up from what?

"Josh?" I groan, my eyes opening and the clearness of him rattling me. He's on his knees, and I'm lying on the couch, he is looking at me with worry.

"Jen, you scared me for a second." He sighs of relief.

"What happened?" I ask, sitting up. I know I wasn't out for long, maybe two minutes. I realised as soon as I went down I had to come back up.

"You passed out as it seems," He takes a seat next to me, "I thought, I thought you were going to be like that for a few minutes and I panicked. Maybe something was wrong with you, I thought, but when you started breathing deeply I knew you were not out of it."

"I'm sorry Josh." I put my forehead on his shoulder. The first offer of embrace I've had with him since last time we hugged.

"It's okay; I just don't get it, why'd you pass out like that?" He asks, holding my chin up so I have to look at him.