"Promise Me"

Nik and i looked at each other. Neither of wanted to say anything anymore. Everything has been said and that's the sad truth. 

Nik looked away "i need a drink"

Then he walked away. I scoffed, shaking my head. 

My phone buzzed and i answered it.

Me "Hello?"

Alaric "Hey, Ariana, it's me, Alaric"

I nodded "hey, what's up?"

Alaric "Hope's missing"

My eyes widened "What?"

Alaric "A few hours ago, she took off with a boy from school. We're looking for them. In fact, our entire Honors Tracking class is on it. "

Me "If Nik gets his hands on that boy, he's gonna kill him"

Alaric "i know. we can't pinpoint their location yet, butt hey seem to be heading somewhere just outside of New Orleans. "

Me "she's coming home. But why?"

Ric "you better find her and ask her that yourself"

Me "thanks, Ric"

Then i hung up and turned around.

Nik was standing there.

Me "Come on, let's go"

Morning. Diner. 

I walked out of the diner with two coffees in my hand. I walked to Nik.

Me "Ric just texted me. His traking class should be zeroing in on them. We should have a location nailed down any minute"

I handed him a coffee and leaned against the car.

Nik asked irritated "so what, we just wait here and sip rancid diner coffee?"

I scoffed and shook my head.

Nik "you know i'm right"

Me "why don't you just think about what you'll say to your daughter when you see her. And because i know where you and her standing at the moment, you should be careful with your choice of words. It'll be tempting to lash out, but you'll regret it later"

Nik "you know, you have a lot to answer for, and not just for telling my daughter about the deal Greta made"

I scoffed "oh come on. You're daughter is not eight years old anymore, Nik. She doesn't have to look up to you now just because you're here dad. You have to earn that. The last thing we need is her becoming exactly like me when i was her age"

Nik "I don't even know how you were like when you were her age?"

Me "I was a disrespectful brat who went after bad boys"

Nik "so nothing's really changed"

I scoffed, shaking my head.

Nik "you know, it's been bloody awful. I mean, it was bad enough when i had to keep my distance, but now, the desire to keep her close, to-to protect her, the constant worry. There's only one other person i have experienced such pain with"

Me "and who? Aurora?"

Nik "my wife"

I froze a little but hen caught myself "well, congratulations, you just became a father. "

Nik "just as she became a truant. why? why would she do this?"

Me "She's doing the same things i did when i met you"