Chapter 28

Shaun had an operation the moment he entered the hospital. It was successful. He was in the recovery room and Emily was waiting outside as patiently as she could. Evan and Charlie were by her side. Evan called her neighbour and asked about the kids. They were fine. All they were doing was waiting for Shaun to wake up.

After waiting for an hour, Shaun slowly opened his eyes. "Hello mister Reed. I'm Shauna, your nurse. How are you feeling?" "I don't know. What happened?" "Charlie's brother shot you. Charlie helped you once he arrived. He helped your wife mister Reed." "I need to see my wife." "Let me go and get her for you." He watched the nurse exit the room and shortly returned with Emily.

"Hi Shaun." "Emily, I'm so sorry." "It's over. Charlie's brother won't be bothering us again. His wife is very disappointed." "You called her?" "She had to know what he did. She doesn't want him near them again. She also said that she'd find someone better." "Good." "The wound was deep." He then attempted to sit up, but failed. "Let me help mister Reed." The nurse helped him to sit up and he smiled at his wife. "I love you." "I love you too." She took his hand and gently held it.

***

"Get some rest Shaun. I'll go and get the kids and get them to bed." "Tell them I'll be home soon and that I love them." "I will, I promise. I love you." "I love you too." They kissed as Emily then left and made her way home.

Once home, Emily walked to her next door neighbour and knocked on the door. It was shortly answered. "Hi Emily." "Hi. I'm here to get the kids." "Of course. Come in. They're asleep on the sofa. I'll help take one over." "Thanks. Shaun would help, but he was involved in an incident. He's in hospital recovering." "Give him my love." "I will." They walked in the living room and saw both Ben and Daisy fast asleep. They picked up a child each and carried them home next door.