Cuarenta y ocho: How Bad Could It Be?

"What the heck is going on here?!"

Joey jumped back. "Mom!"

  "Ah!" I let out.

"Son!" She exclaimed back.

Fudge.

Her eyes darted all around the room, glancing at all of us. She gestured around dramatically at the scene. "Care to explain?"

  "Um, well, these are my friends —"

  His mom cut him off. "Friends?" She raised an eyebrow at me.

  Joey and I's heads whipped in each other's directions with wide eyes.

  "Nononono! You have it mixed up," I exclaimed. At the same time Joey was babbling a seres of NO's as well.

"We're not together," Joey cleared up quickly.

  I nodded as I took a sip of my water.

  His mom's previously shocked look turned to one of disappointment in the blink of an eye. She gave me a once over. "Man, she'd be a score. You two would make me beautiful grandchildren."

  "Afghjvdjb."

That was the sound of me choking on my water.

  "Mom!" Joey hollered at his mother.

  Corey and Sam's eyes widened in utter shock before they went into a laughing fit.

Joey's mom followed. "Well, What do you expect my mind to go to when I find my son making out with a pretty girl on my couch," she put her hands on her hips.

  Well I'd hardly call it making out. . .

  "You have got to be kidding me." He hid his face in his hands. "Not again," he mumbled.

Hm. So this is a reoccurring thing?

  Next thing we know there are two young girls running through the door.

"Hold that thought," his mom put her finger up.

Aw, cute. The girls look young, but not super young. Like 6th grade young. Not playing with dolls in the yard young.

There are more of them.

Okay. . . Why did I think that in such a weird accent?

  But anyway, they have the same brown hair — a little darker than Joey's — blue eyes — apposed to their older brother's gray ones — and cream complexion — actually matching Joey in that one.

  And same face.

  Their faces are literally the exact same. Obviously not to Joey, but to each other. The only difference is one has more freckles sprinkled across her face than the other.

  Twins.

  "Lacy! Give me my ear buds!"

  "No! These are MINE! Yours fell under the seat in the car!"

  "No they didn't, those were yours!"

  "Yes, THEY DID!"

  "Nuh uh!"

  "Yuh huh!"

  "Nuh uh!"

  "Yuh huh!"

  "Lacy! Macy! They're the same headphones! It doesn't matter witch ones you use!" Joey's mom shouted at the bickering pair. They're darting around the room after each other.