Prologue

Prologue

It was supposed to be a happy occasion, as all weddings were supposed to be unless you were in my shoes. Nothing about this wedding was joyous, everything was covered with a fake smile and even faker rose centerpieces.

If this was under any other circumstance, I would have been ok, because then everything wouldn't be my problem, someone else could deal with the shitstorm. Oh how simpler my life could have been that way.

Unfortunately the universe placed a permanent 'kick me' sign taped to my back.

My mother's wedding was a lot of things, memorable, life-changing and a turning point, but not in the ways you would expect. That was the day everything in my life began going downhill, and that is not in any way me being dramatic at all. In fact that was me downplaying my entire life.

The start of my troubles began long before my mother's wedding but it wasn't until the ceremony that things became permanent. My mother got a new last name, a new husband and a new family to go along with it.

On top of the fact that my mother remarried less than a year after my father died, I had to deal with my new step-sisters. They seemed normal the first time we met, standing next to their dad Kenny. I was actually excited to have siblings for once. Then the second he looked away, their fangs came out. They were three little devils, and have made it their life's mission to make my life as difficult as possible.

On the day of the wedding, we were all flower girls as a way to experience a "sisterly bond" or so our parents put it. In just a span of a few hours they spilled soda on my dress, made me trip in the dirt and scrape my knee, and shoved ants down my dress. And I'm just scratching the surface here.

Of course they put on the little innocent act whenever an adult came by. When I tried complaining to my mom she got annoyed at me for trying to ruin her big day and insisted I was the problem not them, even with my bruised and bloody knee. 

I was rightfully bitter for a lot of reasons that day, and as a child nothing is worse than having no one understand you.

I stayed to the side at the ceremony, maintaining an observational position from the time being. I silently took in everything with distaste.

"Adira, could you stop bothering you sisters?" My mother asked me annoyed as she adjusted her veil for the upteenth time. I resisted the urge to point out they weren't my sisters.

"But I was just standing here." Halfway across the room, and not doing anything.

"You are making this day more difficult than it has to be Adira." She snapped at me, making me flinch back. She softened her expression and bent down so she was eye level with me.

"Today is a special day sweetie." Even as a child it wasn't hard to perceive the importance of the wedding. "And I need you to behave so the day goes smoothly, can you do that?"

"I'm trying but Emma, Sophia and Harper-" I try to defend myself.

"Listen honey it's simple, do you want me to be happy?"

"Yes mommy of course."

"Then don't cause anymore trouble Adira." Her words were starting to sound like a warning. My mother stood up and smoothened out the wrinkles on her dress.

"And no more scowling, it'll look bad in the photos." She called out over her shoulder.

To prove a point, I spent the rest of the day scowling.