Chapter Thirty

Chapter Thirty

Come on! Come on! Come on!

No matter how much I willed it, the second hand on the clock did not move any faster. I gave up and slumped back in my seat, not paying attention to the boring lecture the teacher was giving.

Normally I would be hanging onto her every word and furiously taking notes to busy myself, but today my mind was focused on other things. Today was the day I would enact my genius plan to rid myself of a giant evil.

The only problem was the couldn't go fast enough and it felt like I would be struck in second period forever. Why can't lunch come sooner, it's like time has no consideration for my plans.

I guess I could have made my life easier and throw water on them and revel in watching them melt. Worst case scenario their makeup will melt off, so still a win. However, my plan was much more satisfying.

I guess I can spend the day dreaming about what it'll be like ridding myself of their control once and for all.

Until then all that stands in my way is five hours left of classes.

Oh the joy.

------------

That final bell could not have come fast enough. I shoved my notebook into my bag and raced out of the classroom leaving behind a few shocked faces.

I bolted into the bathroom and enclosed myself inside the stall. I needed to wait a few minutes for the next bell to ring. I wanted to make a big dramatic entrance into the cafeteria, which means I'll have to be fashionably late.

The plan was simple, so simple I am ashamed to say how long it took me to figure it out. I'm taking the situation into my hands and bending it to my will.

Just normal blackmail things.

I hesitated for a minute after the second bell rang. I walked out of the stall towards the sinks and looked at my reflection in the mirror.

You are strong Adira. You can do this, go in there and kick some ass!

With that empowering pep talk I gave myself, I walked out of the bathroom confident and ready.

I'm capable of standing up for myself. And most importantly I can't wait to see the look on their faces when I knock them off their imaginary pedestal.

Surprisingly other students have left me alone for the most part. There were a few dirty looks, whispers and scoffs as I walked past but nothing I couldn't handle. I was expecting some pushing and shoving but it was oddly absent today.

I take a deep breath in front of the paint chipped cafeteria door to steady myself. It's go time.

I tried slamming the doors open and quickly realized a big flaw of my plan, the doors were too heavy. I adapted and entered normally trying not to think about the missed opportunity.

I walked straight to the table adjacent to the horror sisters. It was an empty table because they naturally repel others. I stood on the table attracting a few stares, but I needed more.

"Hey!" I screamed. "I have something to say." Some more heads turned, again not enough. So I went full animalistic and let out the most high pitched scream I could make.

All heads turned to me. I ignored the annoyed glances and bored faces and focused on my target.

"What do you want family destroyer?" Harper asked not looking up from her phone.

"To ruin you." I say earnestly laying my intentions straight out on the table.

"As if loser." Emma stood up glaring at me. Her quick reaction was enough prove that she was threatened.

"Don't forget what we have on you." Sohpia chimed in. She probably didn't want to feel left out being the youngest.

"Oh I didn't forget, I just don't care." I shrug nonchalantly. Their faces hardened in anger in realizing they might not be as important as they thought. Reality was catching up to them.

I turned to the rest of the cafeteria. "Here's the truth that you've been deprived. A lot of you may not care but I'm going to say it anyway." This was my time now.

"Yes I might be the reason they" I guestered towards the step-sisters, "don't have a mother. My mother walked out on all of us, and none of us can definitely say why. It could have been me, or a combination of a million other things. Regardless since then I've suffered for years, forced to act like a slave to their family. I would cook, clean, pay bills and run around back and forth on their every whim."

It felt so good to get that out of my chest. The truth was exposed and there was no hiding behind it.

I wanted to go on, and trust me I had plenty of stories but it would distract from my main point. Also, I'm not doing this to victimize myself, this is about freeing myself from a toxic environment.

"They used their iron grip to blackmail me! I was never playing Derric. I was never after him for his money and I was never dating Edmon. They made it all up and threatened to make all three of our lives more difficult if I said anything. And it's too late now because I've already opened my big mouth."

I stood up straighter, this was the moment I was waiting for. "I'm not afraid, you have nothing on me and nothing you can do can affect me."

"You're going to regret this." Emma said menacingly. The claws were coming out and any second now the matching fangs will too.

I stooped down and looked her straight in the eye. "Bring it on bitch."

I hopped off the table and almost jumped out of my skin when a hand clasped my shoulder. That would have ruined my badass moment.

"You're going to pay Adira!" Harper shrieks, becoming more unhinged by the second. I threw my head back and laughed.

"I already have." I remind her.

"We're not afraid of whatever your puny little minds can think of." Edmon joined me standing side by side.

"And anyone who wants to mess with Adira has to go through me." Another hand touched my shoulder. I turn my head shocked to see Derric standing there defending me in the staring standoff between my step-family.

I smile at him, grateful for his assistance. I can't believe he came to help after the rocky way things ended before. Regardless my heart swells with happiness knowing he's right here next to me.

Seeing that their plan completely shattered and backfired, the girls stood up from their table.

"We'll see about that." Harper sneers, contorting her face into an unpleasant shape. She snaps her fingers and the rest of the terror trio follow her in stomping away.

The crowd disperses immediately afterwards, probably bored that the live entertainment has ended. They turn their heads and go back to their conversations. I don't blame them.

I shift my body to face Derric, my smile permanently glued to my face. It was a good day, one of the best I've had in awhile and it keeps getting better.

The girls are no longer going to bother me. My friendship with Edmon has been fixed, and Derric is here, that has to be a good sign. I mean he stood up for me in front of the whole school, that's gotta count for something.

"Hey." I say quietly, figuring it was a good place to start. Behind me I can hear Edmon saying he was going to give us some alone time. Isn't he the best?

"Hey." He responds with a brief smile. Something was off about him and it was making a knot form in my stomach. I couldn't read his emotion from his face, his storm blue eyes were hiding something.

I take a step back and notice of his overall mannerisms. He's suddenly become nervous, fidgeting with the collar of his shirt.

"Can we talk in private?"

Oh no.